F the CS144 alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm so frustrated tonight with this alternator. I've spent hours trying to swap the pulleys on this alternator so I could mock it up with the turnbuckles and make sure the pulleys are aligned. The pulley would not come off now matter what I did let it be hammering, drilling, etc. I'm gonna go with the CS130 alternator now since I know they came with V-belt pulleys and supposedly don't have this press in bushing which causes the assembly on the CS144 to be a "permanently assembled".

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Impact whips off the pulley on any GM alternator I have owned. Worked on both my 94 4x4 or the older style on my Cutlass.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What's the best method to use to lock down the pulley in order to use the impact wrench on it? I suppose if it was still on the car with the belt attached, it could possibly be driven off with the impact wrench.
That's my assumption. I realize it's not the case in this matter.

I suppose with the unit being loose (not bolted down), it could be clamped down in a large jaw vise. Damaging the serpentine pulley would not be an issue if you're going with a v-belt pulley. As long as you're able to break the nut free.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
actually i always just turned up the power on the gun and held the pulley by hand.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
megaladon6 said:
actually i always just turned up the power on the gun and held the pulley by hand.

Yup, we had an electric impact at Advance, i'd just hit it with that while holding the pulley, never had any problems.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
pat mckinney racing said:
I'm trying to take off the serpentine pulley to swap to a v-belt
Take the nut off and put a big socket against inside the pulley face and whack it with a good sized hammer.
It should unseat the collet and the pulley should come off. I have done dozens of them over the years,We had to rebuild them all the time when I was at the dealer.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
The nut is already off guys. Had it in the vice and used my impact gun on it last night. But even with the nut off, the pulley itself seems to be pressed on. TC1959, I've already tried your method as I read it over on the teamchevelleforum and the thing still won't come off. I had pulled the v belt pulley off my SI alternator with no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor