Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey fellas, a quick question:

I got to tinkering around with a factory 1.5 DIN radio I got for free a couple months back today, and one thing lead to another, and well, I ended up installing it into the car.

It fits and seems to work properly with the exception of one thing:
The presets don’t seem to hold in the internal memory when I shut the key off.

Is this an issue with how I wired the power to it or with the radio itself?

Car in question is a 1980 Olds Cutlass, it had the original radio in it up until today.

BFE7DDC7-A7B1-4FB2-8A2C-01451485C8C1.jpeg

The original radio only has the connection points for three of the four plugs in the back...

3B8A7FCA-83CD-4878-B035-2E130426E531.jpeg

...the female side of this fourth plug...

5E4CCFD8-BC74-4F91-982C-34FD230B26A1.jpeg

...was present on the car side, but the orange power wire was cut and doesn’t appear to go to anything nearby.

Without power to this plug, I got no display on the screen so I spliced it in with the yellow wire here...

DCB5B3F0-0559-4699-ABDF-CE801412E5F8.jpeg

...that supplies main power to the rest of the unit since it was the closest power wire to and for the radio.

Now everything works as it should with the exception of keeping the presets memory when you shut the key off. I thought about wiring the lone orange wire to “key off” power, but then the display would be on constantly.

Thoughts??

TIA,

D.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You need to tie in the orange wire in the two wire pigtail to something like the orange one with you lighter or the interior footwell lights. It is the always hot wire. That brown wire you can ignore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You need to tie in the orange wire in the two wire pigtail to something like the orange one with you lighter or the interior footwell lights. It is the always hot wire. That brown wire you can ignore.

Thanks for the super quick reply.
I considered doing that, but wouldn’t that cause the display to be on constantly, even with the key off and out of the ignition?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thanks for the super quick reply.
I considered doing that, but wouldn’t that cause the display to be on constantly, even with the key off and out of the ignition?

The orange is will only power the back up for the time & presets (& kill the battery if the car sits way too long.) You would be able to have the time display for about 5 seconds when you press the recall button, then off again. I have mine tied in like it was factory. You won't have any issues at all with anything staying on longer than needed.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The orange is will only power the back up for the time & presets (& kill the battery if the car sits way too long.) You would be able to have the time display for about 5 seconds when you press the recall button, then off again. I have mine tied in like it was factory. You won't have any issues at all with anything staying on longer than needed.

Awesome, thank you.
It’s not totally put back together yet, so I’ll go in and move where I’ve got the orange wire tied in currently and tie it into constant power as you suggested.

Thanks again!

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Boys ,
Donovan is back , you can breath now .

great to see you back Donovan.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Boys ,
Donovan is back , you can breath now .

great to see you back Donovan.

Lol
Thanks Dave, but I never actually went anywhere! Always been here, just needed to take a break from it for a bit.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Made the required changes, and now everything works 100%, just as it’s supposed to!
Thanks again Mr. Grunt.

8CA22C63-5919-45C2-B03B-950FE245816F.jpeg

Now how in the hell do ya set the clock on these damn things?!?!
🤣

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Made the required changes, and now everything works 100%, just as it’s supposed to!
Thanks again Mr. Grunt.

View attachment 93505

Now how in the hell do ya set the clock on these damn things?!?!
🤣
Thanks, I gotta share all this (wife's quote) useless info somewhere. To set the time keep the radio off & use the SCAN & SEEK buttons. Now I can't remember if you'll need to bother with the SET button.

• Winner

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks, I gotta share all this (wife's quote) useless info somewhere. To set the time keep the radio off & use the SCAN & SEEK buttons. Now I can't remember if you'll need to bother with the SET button.

Yep, you were spot on again.
Key on, radio power off, hit “SET” and use the SCAN and SEEK buttons to set it. Then hit SET again, and done.
👍🏻

You da man sir, I owe ya a virtual beer.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor