Factory 4 speed owners-looking for a measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm hoping that some people here who own '78-'81 A body cars that were built from the factory with either 3 speed or 4 speed manual transmissions can help me. I would like to get a measurement of the distance between the mounting surface of the transmission (where the transmission bolts to the bellhousing), and the center of the shifter lever, where it goes through the floor.
I have purchased an aftermarket Tremec 5 speed to install in my '80 Malibu, which is a factory built 4 speed car. I explained to the supplier when I ordered this transmission, that it was going into a factory 4 speed car, and that I wanted to retain the original shifter lever location. When I picked up the 5 speed and measured the distance from the front mating surface to the bell housing, it looks like the shifter location on the Tremec is about 2" further rearwards than a spare Saginaw 4 speed and shifter that I have here.
I'm thinking that I'm probably going to have to jack up the car, and try to take some measurements directly from my car, to confirm my concerns, before I contact the supplier. I'm hoping to get measurements from another factory built 3 speed or 4 speed owner, to help me confirm things.
Thanks in advance for your help.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm hoping that some people here who own '78-'81 A body cars that were built from the factory with either 3 speed or 4 speed manual transmissions can help me. I would like to get a measurement of the distance between the mounting surface of the transmission (where the transmission bolts to the bellhousing), and the center of the shifter lever, where it goes through the floor.
I have purchased an aftermarket Tremec 5 speed to install in my '80 Malibu, which is a factory built 4 speed car. I explained to the supplier when I ordered this transmission, that it was going into a factory 4 speed car, and that I wanted to retain the original shifter lever location. When I picked up the 5 speed and measured the distance from the front mating surface to the bell housing, it looks like the shifter location on the Tremec is about 2" further rearwards than a spare Saginaw 4 speed and shifter that I have here.
I'm thinking that I'm probably going to have to jack up the car, and try to take some measurements directly from my car, to confirm my concerns, before I contact the supplier. I'm hoping to get measurements from another factory built 3 speed or 4 speed owner, to help me confirm things.

I'm a conversion 4 speed with a Comp+, but since I don't have a body on the frame I checked to see what the distance is. I got 13-7/16" at the top shifter to plate bolt, 13-1/2" at the base of the stick itself. Everything was from where the mount ear meets the bellhousing.

Reactions: 1 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Here a picture of mine. TKO 600 for a factory setup. I've got a factory 4speed on the shop floor I'll get you what you😎
untitled (10).png
what you need tomorrow.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm a conversion 4 speed with a Comp+, but since I don't have a body on the frame I checked to see what the distance is. I got 13-7/16" at the top shifter to plate bolt, 13-1/2" at the base of the stick itself. Everything was from where the mount ear meets the bellhousing.
Thanks very much Pagrunt. That's the same measurement that I have for my spare Saginaw 4 speed, for the distance from the belhousing surface, to the base of the shifter. The Tremec is 15 1/2".

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have had several of those Tremec transmissions and the standard shifter location they come with it back too far for using the factory 3 or 4 speed hole. They had a mid shift conversion for then but even those a
will not clear as the shifter comes up in the center of the runner and not to the left like the 3 and 4 speed shifters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509-104239.png
    Screenshot_20200509-104239.png
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • Screenshot_20200509-104226.png
    Screenshot_20200509-104226.png
    789.9 KB · Views: 250

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I converted my '78 Caballero from a v6/3spd Saginaw to a v8/5spd Borg Warner (T5). I have the short tail shaft on my T5. My shift hole had to be moved forward and up to the center of the trans hump. I do not recall the actual distances, but it seems to have been between 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 inch forward, causing me to have to notch, bend, and reweld the stick handle so that it doesn't hit the bottom of the stereo bumpout on the dashboard. If I had it to do again, I would look for the long tail shaft.
On my conversion, I was able to use the old bellhousing (having to enlarge the transmission mount holes just a little bit), and the same clutch. I recall that my throw out bearing is different though.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
If I had it to do again, I would look for the long tail shaft.

The lengths are actually the same. The shifter location moves based on application. It sounds like you have the S truck version which is up by the trans body. A Firebird is at the very end of the tail housing. Which IMO is too far back although some people have used them. The mustang version is about 2 inches forward from the Firebirds location. Which is what I used in my GP. It's closest to factory bit on the centerline.

Regarding the Tremecs, If you look hard enough T5 Astro vans have an external linkage mechanism you may be able to use that with some modifications to get back to the original hole. I was never able to find one so I can't say what it would take to do.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
The lengths are actually the same. The shifter location moves based on application. It sounds like you have the S truck version which is up by the trans body. A Firebird is at the very end of the tail housing. Which IMO is too far back although some people have used them. The mustang version is about 2 inches forward from the Firebirds location. Which is what I used in my GP. It's closest to factory bit on the centerline.

Regarding the Tremecs, If you look hard enough T5 Astro vans have an external linkage mechanism you may be able to use that with some modifications to get back to the original hole. I was never able to find one so I can't say what it would take to do.
Didn't know about the mustang version distances. My T5 came from a '92 S10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor