Factory A/C Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2021
just bought this montecarlo it has the factory delete plates on the dash and the firewall. do any of you have a parts car that you have a A/C box etc. so that i can look in to putting it in to this car. I live in the SW and no A/C is not going to be fun when i paint it black. even white gets hot enough to melt you here! but i have to say it was interasting to see this as i have never seen one in person before this.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So this is a heat only car?
Since you will starting from scratch for the AC you might want to look into an aftermarket system.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
TECHNICALLY, C60 (air conditioning) wasn't a "delete" option. C60 was an option for all G-bodies, although GM did have some marketing packages to require the option or include it (either way, you did pay extra for it somehow). For example, H/O's and 442s didn't come with C60, but the W40/W42 option REQUIRED C60. So no H/Os or 442s to my knowledge were built without C60. Starting in 1986, the 442 package included A/C, but the package price went up.

But going from non-AC to a factory style AC is a monumental task. Not impossible, but pretty invasive. You may have to place some sheetmetal over existing holes or make new ones. Never studied that layout. Can't say because I've never known anyone to ever tackle this. If you had all the other pieces parts, you'd need the A/C inside ducting and controls, vacuum lines, electrical connections as well.

It definitely would be easier to install a stand alone aftermarket unit like 565bbchevy suggested.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As long as you find a Chevy or GMC A/G that still has everything on the firewall & under the dash you will be good. Since one of the somewhat better ideas of GM, the A/C & non-A/C cars have the same firewall to allow easy swap between both set ups. As for factory delete, Federal law calls having atleast a basic heater/defrost standard since the late '60's. I haven't seen a delete RPO listed for our cars. Would be interested to see the block off plates.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
It shouldn't be too hard to add factory AC. I did the reverse in my 86'SS years ago, everything is made to make it easy when these were built/assembled so things interchange without any modifications to the body or other, that I can remember, I've removed both AC and non AC setups in several g-bodies since then.

You would need the ductwork behind the dash, the dash has to come out to do it properly, so try to find as complete of a setup as you can or a parts car/junkyard car that hasn't had those parts hacked into yet would be good, that way you can see how it was installed too. The fun part would be figuring out what brackets/lines you need depending on your engine setup.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I got an S-10parts truck that was AC delete it came from way up north the blower box only has the blower fan on it. Is AC delete more of an option in Canada? ,I'll take a pic when I can its one of the few parts I kept but didn't use was going to v8 swap mine but never got around to it

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I did a non a/c to a factory set-up in a '79 ElCamino years ago. Robbed all the parts from a clean newer model (82 or later) station wagon. Everything bolted right in w/o issue w/the exception of the wiring as there were differences between a '78 & '82/later in the schematics. It just require some minor correcting & was good to go. Back then I was about $350 into the entire system not including the filling/charging.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm betting the wiring stuff is still under the dash. Maybe. I'm willing to think the car was a factory A/C car that someone put one of those aftermarket delete plates on the firewall. Factory did not provide a delete plate for any of the firewall stuff.

But I'm just speculating about it being a factory A/C car.

One thing I can say, those that took out their A/C and heater cores... several are wishing they didn't go that far. Especially when they need some defroster action during a cold rain.

If you rob a similar year parts car, ensure you get the wiring harness pieces you need for controlling the fan and compressor if at all possible. And any/all vacuum lines. Some of that stuff you can't get new. Anywhere. They list is as "non serviced" aka "N.S." in the parts books.

Reactions: 1 users

MurderMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2021
i have seen the harness for like 40.0 so that's easy to find in comparison to the rest. i have found 1 of the A/C factory set up. because i just bought the car and nothing has been done i have time for it lol. but would like to change it over. i did see one factory delete set up and the guy wants 500.00 for it, was hoping that's not the case for it going the other way. this is the factory no A/C set up. just gives a place for the fan motor and the heater core. then on the dash the vents are blocked off in the gauges pod and the passenger side of the dash close to the windows. so not thinking that would be to hard to plum the duct work in.

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-07_12-00-31.jpg
    photo_2021-02-07_12-00-31.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 148

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ah, the way you described it, I thought you had a "delete cover" meaning everything was deleted on the firewall and the head controls in the interior were blanked off. So what you have is the standard Heat/Defroster from the factory if you didn't check the box for air conditioning. W/O C60.

On the same page now. Also, it appears the non-A/C inlet screen on the passenger side top under the windshield bottom trim will need to be snagged from the A/C car as well as the housing stuff. Unfortunately, the heater core is different, so you'll need an A/C style heater core.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor