Factory electric fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I want to put in a electric fan on my car.I am wondering what kind of cars can i get a fan off of would work? Anybody use electric fans out of junkyard cars? I also am looking for radiator upgrades as well. I just need to know what vehicles would make a good donors. Plus i get to upgrade my car. :lol:
Thanks

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i always suggest buying an aftermarket unit. they have a warranty, are brand new and have instructions to install and sometimes brackets and wiring to install them.

yes this costs more but i think it gives you more in the long run.

i love going to the junkyard for parts but when it comes to cooling i wont take chances with a fan that may have bad wiring, a bad motor, crack fan blades...its just not worth risking IMO.

that being said IF you absolutely on going this route i hear fiero fans work well but i think that's a smidge small. ive heard LT1 fans from fbodies work well.

i once considered getting a fan from a junkyard but after thinking about it and the risks involved with such used parts i went and bought an aftermarket fan. its been trouble free, came with all the wires relays and brackets needed to put it in.

im not trying to discourage you from keeping things cheap but i am saying you get what you pay for sometimes.

i think a 4th gen f-body fan would work just fine. may cost a bit though! they seem quite popular. but most likely would fit with few issues if you use a radiator of similar size, in other words not a V6 narrow radiator.

what exactly is your use for this car? if its a street car you should be able to upgrade to a stock heavy duty cooling radiator as they're made out of aluminum cores and plastic tanks. i use one for what was originally a b-body since it had the trans fittings where g-body cars have them but it fit right in like it was for a V8 engine. i use a cutlass radiator hold down. i shaved some weight getting of the fan shroud, the heavy copper/bronze radiator and belt driven fan. freed up some power AND improved gas mileage.

i would insist on using that type of radiator. they're better than the old ones that's for sure. as for my fan i went with a black magic fan. the old 150 model. had i known they would come out with the black magic extreme i might have waited to get that one since it covers more of the core surface area meaning more air pulled through the core for better cooling but for my V6 this thing cools it down in a new york minute.

it cost me about 400 bucks to upgrade my cooling system but i also needed a stainless steel upper radiator hose as the buick V6 upper is not long enough for a wider radiator and that cost me a chunk of change i didnt want to spend. but this included the coolant and distilled water, all parts including the radiator hold down from the junkyard, the radiator, the fan, that blasted hose which cost me like 50 plus dollars. for that 400 bucks ive had a flawless 100% reliable cooling system that took weight off the car, freed up some power, gave me better gas mileage (noticeably!) so i think it was worth every penny. i'll get a pic or two sometime and show you what it all looks like. i need to redo the hold down, i did a crap job painting it on it as i was kind of in a hurry at the time to get it all done so the car because it was driven daily.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
People have used fans from several different cars. Good rule of thumb would be to take measurements of the radiator, surface area (effective cooling area of the radiator, the fins), and how you would go about mounting them. I've also read that some used Taurus fans and "LS1" fans (F-Body electric fans).

Take a look here for the LS1 fans...
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... hroud.html

Another option is electric T-Type/GN fans. They should be a bolt-in given the radiator is the same size as the one you already have. This would be my personal preferred route. The new ones are a bit pricey though (Although it does include the relays/wiring).
dualfanwharness1.jpg

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... 14de2b46bf

Rock Auto lists the same AC Delco PN for the radiator for pretty much all the G-Bodies, so it should be an easy fit ;)

You'll also need a top plate for the radiator.
gnholddownplate.jpg

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=78982

I don't think that wiring includes any type of automatic control for the fans though, so keep that in mind as well.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the info. The dual fans out of the f-bodys are what i am looking into If i could find some in good shape i will use them if not i will consider looking at a aftermarket one. As for my radiator it is leaking a bit around the tank so that's why i want to replace it. The b-body one is from what year? And will it keep a mild 350 cool? I would love to see pics of any setups..

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
You should be good with the stock G-Body radiator. My 350 is capable of about 375hp (not quite there though, smaller carb & exhaust), and I drove it all last summer without issue.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
85GPLef41 said:
Thanks for the info. The dual fans out of the f-bodys are what i am looking into If i could find some in good shape i will use them if not i will consider looking at a aftermarket one. As for my radiator it is leaking a bit around the tank so that's why i want to replace it. The b-body one is from what year? And will it keep a mild 350 cool? I would love to see pics of any setups..

reasonably a stock V8 radiator should work for you. the only reason why i used the b-body version was because at the time the g-body ones were still the old copper bronze radiators and i didnt want to use that.

here's 3 pics of my set up.

100_1845.jpg

100_1844.jpg

100_1843.jpg

wow it looks worse in the pics! i have a lot of cleaning to do still and i need to redo the radiator hold down.

i hate that stainless steel hose. i plan on getting a black one so it blends into the engine compartment better. and you can see my newly painted air cleaner in flat black.

but you can see how it looks and how it went together. i also need to change out that tall thermostat housing for a short one from a 4.1 intake.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
as for the radiator you can ptck up a new one as G_Body_Enthusiast described with plactic tanks and an alum. core for $108.00 at autozone or 154.00 at napa. Autozone's part number is 438162 and Napa's part number is NR2511. I bought the napa one and it fits great and cools great.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I recently picked up the serpentine belt setup from an '88 Firebird. Along with the belt parts, I got the rad, single electric cooling fan, and top rad plate. Has anyone used a single fan setup like this on a G body? Also, how do you wire the fan so that it will cycle properly to cool the engine? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor