motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Funny how the older frames held up so long. The 03 Tahoe that we used to own had rust all over it. Same with the 05 Silverado I had. What really makes me chuckle is going through the junk yards and seeing nice rust free brake lines on the older cars. Boy, things have changed. LOL

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I got that crap on my 2010 GMC truck frame. That was one thing they "touted" that they had a factory wax coating on the frame. Which IDGAF since I live in South Carolina. Big rust risk here. haha But I get it. If you're up north, you can appreciate anything that's stuck to the frame that won't trap moisture and repels it. When I was stationed on the sub going through overhaul in the Portsmouth Navel Shipyard in Kittery, Maine, I saw all sorts of horrid rust on fairly new cars at the time. Scary! If you had a southern car with no rust up that way, you could sell it for a pretty penny. Maybe that's why they didn't care if you had a title for a car over 10 years old in NH at that time...

More G-body frames have rusted out behind the rear wheels than anyone would like. Shame actually. The 87 got some sort of rustproofing when new but I haven't really delved into that too much, but it was a good way to document the mileage along the way when they did their annual "checkup" when the original owner had it. One year I think the car was driven less than 500 miles or some crazy crap. My 85 442 got the brown looking dealer goo/wax like crap. Again, living in SC it was kind of stupid IMO. That's coming off when I get the body off the frame.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The cadaver I used for the Monte had pretty regular undercoating done and the frame and floors have held up ok. Behind the chrome... some issues were revealed. But for a Canadian car it ain't bad. It will live a privileged life from here on out.

You can still eat off the frame in our '07 TBSS (after you wipe it down) thanks to Krown.

Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Common thing with the Land Rover crowd here in Europe is steel rope grease like it's used for crane or cable car ropes. Works pretty good if you consider that a LR Defender frame is usually dust in less than 10 yrs without any aftermarket coating.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor