Factory Manual Brakes Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
I went to the pick n pull today and got some parts off a wrecked 1978-1980 Malibu that I saw on a previous trip. It had what looked like a factory manual brake set up so I grabbed the master cylinder and block off plate.

The block off plate was a thin 2 piece sheet metal covering, and inside the car it was the skinny pedal from what would have been a manual car, but it was a column shift auto transmission.

Does that all sound correct that it is an original block off plate? Unlike the booster that has studs in the booster and then the nuts are in the passenger compartment, this had the studs in the firewall and nuts were in the engine bay. I wacked the studs quickly to see if they would come out and if there was another support plate on the inside of the firewall, but they were pretty stuck.

I would have thought that the firewall would have been a little thin to support pressing studs through.

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
Here is a pic of the 2 piece sheet metal cover.

The car is also a factory bucket seat car if anyone in the MD, PA, DE wants a set of seats that are in rebuildable condition. It is also a factory heat only non a/c car, but the car isn't in a good spot to spend a few hours to get everything out.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You mentioned the studs coming thru the inside of the car rather than the other way around. Are the studs affixed to a steel plate, and then pushed thru the firewall?

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
The car in the salvage yard was without wheels so it was really close to the ground and in a mud pit so I couldn't get in there and crawl up under the dash to see what the studs were attached to. I have a feeling maybe the brake pedal bracket was bolted to the firewall and the studs are pressed into the brake pedal bracket and then the studs go through the firewall to the master cylinder and block off plate.

I did manage to reach up and disconnect the pushrod and take it with me when I got the master cylinder since that is the special length. I am googling around and seeing maybe I can keep my existing brake pedal, but have the move the stud up and maybe there is another stud hole.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G bodies didn't come with manual brakes. If that was an OEM plate there would be a part number stamped on it. Also when the top holes are used to install the mater brake cylinder the cylinder is sitting higher and not lined up with the brake pedal. You can see what I mean in this picture

509074-rit.jpg

Last edited:

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
I thought there was some on the early years. Rock Auto lists a manual brake master cylinder. I took a look and I do have a higher empty stud hole on my brake pedal of my el camino.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I switched my car to manual brakes. I used a kit from manualbrakes.com. It does use the upper mounting hole for the pushrod. I would contact them, they sell individual parts and they could help you out.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i agree with pontiacgp, i didn't think these cars came with manual brakes. however, if they did, they would have positioned the pushrod higher up on the pedal, closer to the pivot, to gain more leverage for manual brakes. also , that two piece plate is complicated enough and symmetrical enough to say its factory. but i don't know why it would be two pieces. I've seen enough weird things in the auto world to never say never and never say always. anyone else out there with info or insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor