Factory Manual Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
78 to 80 had an option with a stick, heard it was available in 81 also but haven't seen one.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There was a manual transmission option on the Monte Carlo in 1970 and 1971. I remember going to one of the NMCOA conventions in the early '90s. According to the owner, the car had the base powertrain in it, which was the 350 with the 2 barrel carburetor, and a 3 speed manual transmission on the steering column. He said he bought it from a farmer who bought it new, and thought it was a good setup for getting unstuck from snow or mud, because you could rock the car back & forth from 1st gear to reverse easily with the 3 speed column shifter.
GM offered a manual transmission again in 1978 and 1979. The V6 could be had with a 3 speed manual with floor shifter, and you could get the 305 V8 with a floor shifted 4 speed manual. The 4 speed cars are pretty rare.
Then, as mentioned above, GM built a 350/4 speed Monte SS for sale in Mexico in 1984. There was a member that was on both this site, and MonteSS.com, that imported one of the Mexican Monte SS cars into the States last year. The car was for sale in the States last year, after he had imported it. Not sure if he was able to get a clear U.S. title for the car though.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, I have one. '78 monte, factory 4-speed... They made 1,700 of them that year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 2,274
Reactions: 1 user

MadMonte

Greasemonkey
Apr 18, 2015
York, Pa
More importantly, why was gm so stupid as to only offer a 4 speed car only in Mexico that year?! Why not here?!?

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
I know they made some in Mexico, but they were also available here in the states.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There was no manual transmission option available on any A/G body in the States or Canada after 1981. If I remember correctly, the manual trans was offered on the Mexican Monte SS, because of the more relaxed emission control requirements for that country, and that's part of the problem with trying to import them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor