factory oil guage,how accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
How accurate is the factory oil guage?i got the sender for my car from autozone.its an 82 with a 4.1.

cold start it reads about 40psi,wich im happy with.finally drove it last night.hot idle in drive its reading almost zero and about 15psi driving.on the way home the gauge started jumping around a bit.no ticks or knocks.im gonna put a mechanical gauge on it when i get a chance.i just put a new crank,bearings,oil pump,gaskets and seals in it.i really dont care about the motor but want it to last till the snow starts flying.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I know in my SS the factory gauge is accurate at times, but at other times is off by 15 psi compared to my mechanical gauge that I have mounted in the car too.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
In my experience ive never had an accurate electrical gauge period. And if you do get one thats accurate somthing simple like a sub and amp will throw it off anyway everytime the bass hits. Or a weak alternator can throw em off.

I always run mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor