Factory Oil Pressure Switch... two prong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I intend to mend the factory choke setup and make my check engine light go away, so would I need the two prong oil pressure sender/switch thing? One for the choke wire and one for the oil pressure thing itself? It's my understanding factory electric choke setups were ran off the signal from the oil pressure thing right?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did your pull the fuse for the computer? The oil pressure/choke circuits won't turn off the check engine light. If you'll never use the comupter set up just pull all the related parts & unplug any related harness connestors.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Yes, you need the 2 prong but when there is no oil pressure it illuminates the choke light not check engine light.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, you need the 2 prong but when there is no oil pressure it illuminates the choke light not check engine light.
Thanks.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Did your pull the fuse for the computer? The oil pressure/choke circuits won't turn off the check engine light. If you'll never use the comupter set up just pull all the related parts & unplug any related harness connestors.
I pulled the entire computer setup. Will pull the harnesses, etc. next time I have the engine out in spring. Kinda had to jam this thing together this time, still some bugs I gotta work out.

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
FWIW you dont need to pull the motor to pull the harness. If you remove the PS inner fender you get access to everything you need. Then find a good grommet to seal the hole up

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
FWIW you dont need to pull the motor to pull the harness. If you remove the PS inner fender you get access to everything you need. Then find a good grommet to seal the hole up
Drivetrain is comin back out in spring anyway to install a shift kit, TC, DS, and the GN rear. Plus new bushings, balljoints, front springs, etc. Might as well do it then.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I saw this diagram online, would this be the correct way to wire it? Minus the green wire.

Attachments

• electricchoke.jpg
    electricchoke.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 213

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Or looking at it, could I just bypass the switch all together and just go off the back of the alternator?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Or looking at it, could I just bypass the switch all together and just go off the back of the alternator?

you cannot put a constant power to the choke, the choke would always be off and won't engage on a start

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor