Factory Stereo Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I'm trying preserve the OEM look of the stereo system in my '87 Cutlass but would like to improve the sound quality. I'm not looking to vibrate the wheels off the car next to me, but some good clean sound and volume would be great. I've upgraded the factory speakers to Kicker KS Series in the front and back dash panels. I was wondering if adding a bluetooth amplifier would do the trick or do I have to have a dedicated bass speaker? I like the bluetooth ides so I can play music directly from my phone without have to use an transmitter in the cigarette lighter. I have the factory 5-band eq stereo.

Attachments

• Cutlass Stereo.png
    Cutlass Stereo.png
    287 KB · Views: 73

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Crutchfield is an awesome company I would recommend if you want to upgrade your head unit. They sell 'retro' styled radios, but you'll be paying around $350 to keep the retro styling with the modern features. Although when you order from Crutchfield they'll provide a pigtail that will plug into your factory harness so you don't have to cut up a bunch of wires
Link to Crutchfields vintage radios that fit your application
All of their radios have an aux input (on the rear of the radio so you would have to plug in a cord and then run it under the dash and then into the cabin) but not all of them have bluetooth so look at their descriptions.
If you don't want to get sub I would recommend getting this radio for it has 25rhms and 45 peak watts vs the factory radio which I would estimate it puts out 15watts peak.
If you think youll want a sub go with this one because it comes with 6 channels instead of the 4 like the previous one (the extra 2 channels are for the subwoofer which will make the wiring much easier instead of splicing into the other channels to your signal output.)

If you dont want to go with an aftermarket head unit an aftermarket amp would work wonders. A small low-profile preamp 8" subwoofer under the front seat or one in the trunk will be a night and day difference.

If you have any questions and or need an opinion on anything just let me know.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor