Factory wiring a one wire alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I have a one wire alternator that I bought from a local speedshop. How should I hook this up with the these plugs? the plug looks obvious and there is another wire with an eyelet but what about the red one?

factorywires Wiplug?
IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A true 1 wire alternator only needs the power feed wire that comes from your battery and would go to the back of your alternator and a good ground, and you would typically have to rev the engine to get it to start charging
This would also be a good time to up size your power wire especially if this is a higher amp alternator.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
So I ran this set up in an S10 I ran a wire from battery to the nut on back and also a wire back dis block on firewall. I was putting the battery in trunk on this car.Can I use the factory wires?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It depends on how your 1 wire was built some can be used in either a 1 or 3 wire application.
I have my battery mounted in the trunk and the positive runs up to a remote solenoid mounted on the heater case and off of that I have a positive wire that runs to the front of the car to a distribution block and that is where my alternator gets power from.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Like 565bbchevy many of us who have the battery in the trunk use a ford style solenoid in the engine compartment and have upgraded the factory wiring. I run an 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the solenoid,

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
any part store,get it for a 1985 ford f-150.they're short money.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor