Fake 87 442 at Mecum auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Fake 87 442 at mecum auctions.

The listing says original interior. Also says W42 code 442 package.

I sent this to them about it

Lot T87 - 1987 442. You are misrepresenting that car. That is not the original interior or it is not a real 1987 442. They never came with a tan interior. The fact that it has chrome bumpers, aftermarket stripes and decals, 7.5 inch rear instead of the 8.5 real 85-87 442s came with and if you have the vin, 8th digit should be a 9, which I am guessing it does not (probably has a y), means this is a standard 87 Cutlass.
You should either pull the car or update the listing to denote the correct info.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
As far as I’m concerned, every car at Mecum or BJ is misrepresented. If the buyer doesn’t know better then they get what they deserve.

Dad always said “if you’re gonna be dumb, then you’d better be tough”.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Oh I agree with your statement. They misrepresent cars all the time and definitely buyer beware, but Im not afraid to call them out and spread the word when its blatant like that one.

Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Of course they have an escape.

Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The ONLY thing 442 on that "faux four two" are the 442 number decals. Grilles are standard Cutlass Supreme grilles. The gold stripes are BS too because they're not even correct widths. But they seem to match well with the tan BENCH SEAT. Has a VIN Y emission decal on it (I could make out the ILC on the vacuum hose diagram and 442 did not have ILCs), replacement chrome lid on the air cleaner, an E-brock carb (blech). And the gold engine? Someone's been playing around in there. I suspect the car may have 77K on it, but the engine likely has a lot less. I dunno, though.

May want to remove that piece under the rockers too. And for goodness sake, take that f*ckin' front header panel Oldsmobile emblem off the trunk. It looks like it's in italics because of the angle of the header panel it should be on. Bother to get a REAL emblem, Dlckwad.

Pretty clean for the most part for a car 33 years old, although the black paint sure could use some heavy-duty correcting. Eww. Up close if it was orange, you could stamp SUNKIST on it.

It is a shame you can see the 7.5 fangs on it even from 30 feet away. Maybe the single air cleaner inlet matching the single exit exhaust gave it away? :)

I get why they do it, I just think if you're GOING to do it, please try and do it better. It's not that hard. But don't out and out LIE and say it has the W42 code when it doesn't. Show me the VIN and the SPID, Spud.

I hope someone doesn't end up with it thinking it's a genuine 442. They're gonna be mad.

Would I drive it? Yes. After I scraped off the decals and fixed a few minor issues. It's a nice color combo. Although it needs a bit of work. Not sure it's worth whatever the owner thinks it is, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor