Fall Carlisle 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I really need to get up and go to a show. I'm about an hour south on 81. I have a customer with a body shop that buys and sells classic cars and he always goes up with 7-10 cars to sell. They sold 7 out of the 9 they brought up last week. He had a 78 delta 88 4 door with a 455 he was going to bring up but the fuel pump took a poop and he didn't have time to get fixed. Its a nice looking land yacht. Back up and running once I got him a pump.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
These days my knees would be screaming halfway though the trip there. Sucks to get old.
Same reason I don't go to Englishtown anymore. We used to come back loaded up like the Beverly Hillbillys. The last time we went my buddy bought a 20" kids stingray type bike for $5 and rode around the whole show. He gave it to a kid on the way out. I remember humping manual transmissions from the far end all the way to the car. No more of that! I always considered Carlisle too far to be worth it. It's four hours each way.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I went on Friday this year, decent showing of vendors, a bunch were packing up due to the weather forecast of rain Saturday and Sunday. I few G-body parts, and vendors, but nothing worth going to the show if you are just going for gbody stuff. My Father, Brother, and Cousin went with me. We were looking for tri-five, 62-3 Nova, A-body (GM) and A-body MOPAR stuff. we made out well.

Reactions: 1 users

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I was about 2/3 of the way through the show, at about 4PM & everybody was packing up. By the time I got to the end most vendors were either closing up or gone.
& when I went 20 years ago everybody walked. Now there are tons of people in/on motorized things, so lots of 'avoiding traffic'. Canfield was like that too.
Hershey is this weekend & the weather's looking good!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Same reason I don't go to Englishtown anymore. We used to come back loaded up like the Beverly Hillbillys. The last time we went my buddy bought a 20" kids stingray type bike for $5 and rode around the whole show. He gave it to a kid on the way out. I remember humping manual transmissions from the far end all the way to the car. No more of that! I always considered Carlisle too far to be worth it. It's four hours each way.
I used to go to Englishtown twice a year back in the early 80s. Used to be good back then. Big name companies had tents full of stuff. The last time I went all the big vendors were gone. Nothing but junk. Yard tools, bikes, cheap sunglasses galore and old CDs. I was kinda pissed that I wasted the time going there.
Carlisle on the other hand was always great. If I remember correctly its close to 85 acres. A lot of major companies. Back when I had my 72 Nova I used to stop by J&W Novas. I think they were from VA.
After I bought my 81 I started looking for oddball stuff like manuals. There was a guy from upstate NY that had boxes and boxes of manuals of every kind. A few times I stopped to see Mike from Mikes Montes. He had a spot on the hill. There was also a guy from PA that used to sell G body stuff right near a building that had a bunch of bathrooms. Yeah, I really miss going there. The best time I made was 5 hrs. It was $36 in tolls for my crewcab and trailer. Then more $$ for parking. Used to park near the JD dealer. Needless to say it was a really long day.
Back when I was into old Jeeps I used to go to a show at a park in Macungie. It was Das Awkscht Fescht. Two days of walking around looking at classic cars and parts. Went to the Mack truck museum. Lots of tents filled with Amish crafts. Big bandshell with bands playing. My wife used to look forward to going every year. Then one day while we were there we found out there was a toy show in a school a couple of streets over. We stayed at a Holiday Inn and the toy vendors would go to each others rooms to wheel and deal. It was a good time. Im thinking the last time I went to one of those shows was close to 30 years ago. It was tough to walk around when my son was little.
Another great time was the toy shows at the York Fair Grounds. The Sunday before Memorial Day and the Sunday after Thanksgiving every year. We would stay in York and drive to the Willow Valley Resort for dinner both nights we were there. Sadly that place was sold. Havent been to York in many years but I probably spent more money on diecast toys there than what I spent at Carlisle buying stuff. LOL
BTW, back in the late 80s there was a whole group of guys from Europe that would come to every Carlisle meet and buy cars to ship back overseas. I heard that from many car sellers over the years.

Last edited:

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I went on Friday this year, decent showing of vendors, a bunch were packing up due to the weather forecast of rain Saturday and Sunday. I few G-body parts, and vendors, but nothing worth going to the show if you are just going for gbody stuff. My Father, Brother, and Cousin went with me. We were looking for tri-five, 62-3 Nova, A-body (GM) and A-body MOPAR stuff. we made out well.
Another one of my customers went up on Wednesday, he says that all the serious buyers and sellers start then, all the deals are done and gone by Friday according to him.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Theres two trains of thought for that. Some guys wont deal on Wednesday because they figure the shows just starting and hold off dealing until the end of the week. Lots of buyers can come around in 4 days. Some guys drop the prices on Sat and Sun because they dont want to shlep the stuff back home. Tough call.

Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Another one of my customers went up on Wednesday, he says that all the serious buyers and sellers start then, all the deals are done and gone by Friday according to him.
That is usually the case I've found. Especially on the shows where I get a few spots and camp all weekend, I've been ale to walk around and see what is what.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I always have gone to spring and fall Carlisle since the mid 90's until a few years ago. I only found one BIG score in all those years, and perhaps a set of nice wheels here and there, mostly odd and end items. I did purchase one vehicle from there on one of my first trips to Carlisle, a 1983 Buick regal T Type with 58k.

A gentlemen and his elderly father owned a machine shop in Carlisle and had a spot on the grounds, I was looking at their items and the car was sitting in the rear of the lot. Being a Buick Turbo nut I inquired if the car was for sale and the guy said actually it was, and that he hadn't had a chance to put a for sale sign in it. He and his father owned together a machine shop in town, they had built a reputation on building performance engines for customers who wanted extra power etc. etc.. he informed me the turbo failed at around 55k on the Buick and at that given time, he decided to pull the engine and "beef it up/build it" too. To this day I still own the car, and have no clue what he did to the engine, modestly saying, its a runner and is NOT a normal 3.8 turbo. I was always astonished with how much power it has. I believe there is 60K on the clock now, had a fun summer of memories in that car.

-Will

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor