Fan belts -cogged vs. smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My A/C belt has been screeching like a pig when I turn the A/C on. I was wondering if it would be an advantage toI run a cogged type belt instead. Right now it's a Dayco top-cogged belt.
Also, how much refrigerant does a stock system with an R4 compressor take?
Thanks guys.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I've always leaned toward Gatorback/Continental belts on my cars. The Procharger on my TBSS has had the same one since it hit the road 4 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
To be honest, these days it's hard to make much argument beyond preference, belts are SO cheap.

They say cogged run cooler/last longer. Also supposedly more efficient but really it's negligable.

I've always run smooth. Rationale? Stupid one. To me the thickness of the belt between cogs is very thin. A smooth belt is thick everywhere. An old smooth belt is still thick and hard to break. An old cog belt is thinner to snap between cogs.

Really, belts are so cheap that you shouldn't let them get old enough that breaking at a thin spot matters.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have usually used a cogged belt mostly a Goodyear on my cars .They grip better .Especially on my 1979 Z-28 Camaro .Of which I can rev up to 6500 rpm.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what shape is the compressor in?....it could be binding, you should be able to spin it by hand without too much resistance. The other thing is the pulley clean?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've always leaned toward Gatorback/Continental belts on my cars. The Procharger on my TBSS has had the same one since it hit the road 4 years ago.
Thanks Mike,
Someone had once suggested going with a Goodyear/ Continental Gatorback belt. From what I can tell, they don't look much different than a Dayco Cogged belt. But again, it's a V-belt. I do notice, however, that the serpentine design is noticeably different.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
To be honest, these days it's hard to make much argument beyond preference, belts are SO cheap.

They say cogged run cooler/last longer. Also supposedly more efficient but really it's negligable.

I've always run smooth. Rationale? Stupid one. To me the thickness of the belt between cogs is very thin. A smooth belt is thick everywhere. An old smooth belt is still thick and hard to break. An old cog belt is thinner to snap between cogs.

Really, belts are so cheap that you shouldn't let them get old enough that breaking at a thin spot matters.
Thanks for your feedback. I've always pretty much run smooth belts or top cogged belts usually without an issue. The belt is probably a few years old now, but has not had that much run time on it. As you said, belts are cheap enough. Perhaps, a fresh new belt will make a difference.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have usually used a cogged belt mostly a Goodyear on my cars .They grip better .Especially on my 1979 Z-28 Camaro .Of which I can rev up to 6500 rpm.
Thanks for your feedback, Michael.
I'm trying to get a variety of pro and con views. They (Goodyear) do claim that they grip better than a conventional belt. At this stage of the game, what do I have to lose...a few bucks maybe?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
When I got my AC working a couple years back I tried Dayco, Goodyear, and whatever off brand the parts guy swore would work and they all would all start to flop and squeal once the weather got hot. I ended up using a timing belt tensioner pully I had left over from my boat ( 2.3 volvo ). Slid a nut and bolt thru it and placed it in the groove the AC is adjusted on to put a little extra tension on the bolt and take the slop out. Worked great until my compressor decided it had enough and seized.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
what shape is the compressor in?....it could be binding, you should be able to spin it by hand without too much resistance. The other thing is the pulley clean?
Steve,
The compressor is a few years old and doesn't have that many hours on it. It might have lost some of it's charge. I have noticed that the clutch engages on and off sporadically, and of course it screeches during those intervals.
It's an AC-Delco R4 unit...new, not reconditioned. I will check the pulley for cleanliness and also check for bind. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor