Fast Hole Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Today I spent most of the day messing around with the AC box in the wagon. I got the evaporator all put together with the correct foam and insulation. Ground wire on the core taken care of.
Now comes the problem. Some of the screw holes on the box are played out and I cant get the screws tight. Ive already gone to the next size up.
Any quick fix for this ? I was thinking about using JB Weld but I dont know if thats going to work. Fill the hole to the top, let it harden and redrill the holes.
Anyone ever fix something like this ?
The box is still in the car.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There's a trick to this I had been meaning to try. I think it was coat the screws in RTV, fill the hole with epoxy, shove the screws in, and let it cure?

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I’ve never done it on a heater box but I would just do the jb weld myself. If you’re really in a rush you could get the quick stuff.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If I used JB I would have let it cure overnight and drilled it tomorrow. Do you think the JB would hold up with the screws cutting into it ?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A) Why would you be pullling the screws out again?

B) The JB Weld will allow the screws to cut into it..loctite used to sell it as a "thread restorer" kit

C) The RTV would let the screws come out of the epoxy since it would seperate the 2 and has little shear/torque resistance

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A) Why would you be pullling the screws out again?

B) The JB Weld will allow the screws to cut into it..loctite used to sell it as a "thread restorer" kit

C) The RTV would let the screws come out of the epoxy since it would seperate the 2 and has little shear/torque resistance

I want to repair the holes before I put the box back together in case one idea doesnt work.
Ive never used JB Weld but it looks like theres multiple types out there so which would be the right one to use ?

One of my friends suggested marine epoxy or fiberglass resin. Let it harden. Drill it smaller and let the course screws cut into it like it would with the fiberglass. Maybe even use the finer thread screws.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I ran into this problem with my wiper arm stops. Best way to fix a streched screw hole is to weld it shut, grind it flat, then redrill the hole to the original size. You will probably need a helper to hold a copper welding spoon on the backside of the holes so they can be plug welded shut.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Assuming that it is in the fiberglass box, then quick setting JBWeld would have you drilling it in about 30 minutes. Should work fine but make sure you work the JB in with a finishing nail to get the air out. Any other type of nail won't work.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I ran into this problem with my wiper arm stops. Best way to fix a streched screw hole is to weld it shut, grind it flat, then redrill the hole to the original size. You will probably need a helper to hold a copper welding spoon on the backside of the holes so they can be plug welded shut.

This isnt metal but thanks for the suggestion. Its the bottom half of the AC box. Trying to put the top half back on and the holes in the fiberglass are played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor