Fast Power Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Is there a good 2016 solution to the molasses slow power windows?

I just put a new motor/regulator in my Yukon XL that was $34 shipped off amazon. Has anyone adapted a modern window motor to a G-body's windows?

LMC Truck Harness Details

LMC Truck Harness Install Pictures

If you are cheap, Make Your Own Harness Diagram

Note that the circuit in post #3 below does not work in a G-body (its for case common ground or 3 wire motors while our motors are reversing ground 2 wire motors)

Last edited:

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I would imagine it would involve converting to cable driven.....I've changed enough of those type on newer cars to not wanna convert lol

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 6 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have read in the past (oldspower.com) that early A/G body window motors were different and had more torque. They bolt right in if you can find them. Another thing that really helps is taking the motors apart, cleaning and removing the hard petroleum jelly or whatever GM used 35 years ago and applying fresh grease.. You can do this without damaging the motor. Take a close look at a motor housing and you will see tabs around the periphery that you can bend out of the way. Just be careful not to lose brushes or springs. Easy peazy : )

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
In my opinion, the best solution here within thus far is the relay solution mention above by Texas82GP. The drawback on the solution is that it takes time (and knowledge) to do it right. Nonetheless that is an elegant solution! 

An easier solution that I've done in the past is just to replace the motor with an upgraded unit. Albeit not as fast as a modern power window but lots faster that the 30 year old windows in our cars. I've utilized the Bosch replacement motors with great results and the windows go up much faster than before. While you are replacing the window motor clean all of the connections in the circuit and ensure there aren't any unwanted voltage drops anywhere in the ckt.

Reactions: 1 users

emperorbrownsuga

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2012
I did the old style 3 wire motor that was on gntype site. Bolts right into the 78 to 88 window regulator but you have to change to the 3 wire setup unless you use a couple of relays. I used the 73 to 77 3 wire chrome switchs, nice to get rid of the plastic switchs. very fast! I used the 73? To 78 style motors, they are in all the f bodies, a bodies, b bodies and cadillacs from those years at the yard. Got a spare pair as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
In my opinion, the best solution here within thus far is the relay solution mention above by Texas82GP. The drawback on the solution is that it takes time (and knowledge) to do it right. Nonetheless that is an elegant solution! 

An easier solution that I've done in the past is just to replace the motor with an upgraded unit. Albeit not as fast as a modern power window but lots faster that the 30 year old windows in our cars. I've utilized the Bosch replacement motors with great results and the windows go up much faster than before. While you are replacing the window motor clean all of the connections in the circuit and ensure there aren't any unwanted voltage drops anywhere in the ckt.
Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't heard about the Bosch motors. When I parked my car in October or November of '14 to pull the engine, the straw that broke the Camel's back was a drive home from work that wasn't that fun because of how the car performed. At the end of that ride, the passenger window wouldn't roll up. Since I have to work on it anyway, maybe I'll put in a Bosch motor. I will definitely do the 4-relay wiring at some point. Getting the current driving the motors out of the switch makes a big difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor