fast ratio steering box similar to f41?

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetworkxs

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2008
I want to upgrade the steering box on my '86 regal limited and was wondering what would compare to the steering on the monte's with the f41 package. I have a '91 gmc jimmy in my backyard and a '85 iroc along with a '85 gmc suburban in my backyard. will anything off those be an improvement? I don't want manual, this is a daily driver, so i'm not looking to save weight really, just make it handle better. I have already done all the sway bars/ bushing/ suspension/ wheel mods.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I read Hemmings Muscle Machines religiously, just took me a while to track through the archives for the article, lol. The most current issue has a run down on aftermarket quick-ratio boxes, but it's not yet available online.

If you're not a subscriber to the magazine, I highly recommend it. All kinds of great stuff in every issue.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
base on the hemmings article, a quick ratio steering box would have a "YA," "WS," or "HX" marking on the end cap opposite where the steering column attaches. Would anyone know exactly where that is located?

DrP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2009
Indiana
The ID is paint stenciled on the pressed in steel disc opposite the input shaft. Aggressive cleaning will remove the number and letters. The G-body Monte SS models have a 12.7 ratio. You may have a BU, which is a 15-13 variable ratio according to Lee Mfg.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Now outside of pitman arm length and fluid fittings, are they pretty much interchangeable between body styles? I.E., would an F-body box swap into a G? I looked at several at the salvage yard this weekend, and they all looked similar, but I forgot to bring that list of numbers and therefore didn't pull any out.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
supercrackerbox said:
Now outside of pitman arm length and fluid fittings, are they pretty much interchangeable between body styles? I.E., would an F-body box swap into a G? I looked at several at the salvage yard this weekend, and they all looked similar, but I forgot to bring that list of numbers and therefore didn't pull any out.

I was at the wrecking yard all this weekend as well, and could not find any markings. There was a 88 cutty with a f41 pakage, but could not see any of the letters stated on hemmings. It did have the #'s on the disc opposite the input shaft, and a 25 on bottom side. Is there a RPO code for a quick teering box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor