Father/Son L48 Elco Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

F5_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
I'm a young 82 El Camino SS owner that is aspiring to take care of my car and slowly develop it into a Pro-Touring machine. For now, the build is mild and cheep, but that's not what's important about my build. What's important is the sentimental value it has to me. See I spent my weekends as a kid in the passengers side of my Dad's black 85 El Camino SS that he beat on as a work truck for over 170,000 miles. I remember being in the car as it was overloaded with gravel and when it got silver racing stripes painted on it and fake side pipes with hood pins to boot. I mean really the car was a joke to my Dad, but to childhood me, it was like a hot wheel. I loved it.

Christmas of 2010 I opened up a small, heavy box to find a piston. At first I was confused, but my dad proceeded to explain that piston was to an overbored L48 small block he had recently acquired for one of his co-workers 69 Camaro SS and that we were going to put into his old El Camino. I spent the following months learning about the details of an engine as I set about pulling the smog 305 out of the old car, only to find holes the side of my fist in the chassis. At the time I was really excited so I didn't think much of it and continued work with my Dad's help. Then near the end of 2011, work came to a screeching halt, and my Dad and I never worked on the car. Then my birthday came around in early 2012 and I came home from school to find a brand new black El Camino SS parked in the driveway that was identical to the one I had stopped working on. Turns out, for my sixteenth birthday, my Dad found and bought a new El Camino for $2,100 in the middle-of-no-where Ohio on Craigslist.

Throughout 2012 and 2013 my father and I then went about pulling the 305 from the new El Camino, putting the new 350 in, and gutting the old El Camino for parts before it was taken to the junk yard. To date the car runs, has been aligned, and is now covered in green primer in a local paint shop. When I get back from college for winter break, the car should painted and ready for me to reattach the bumpers and tailgate. Also my Dad bought at carb scoop and a 2" carb spacer and plopped that atop the intake manifold for a "look". I think it looks totally poser, but hey, superchargers are expensive, so whatever floats his boat.

Moving forward, the only thing certain is that we will be attaching 82" side pipes. From there, I want to focus on suspension, chassis, and brake modifications to make the car handle and stop better. I am open to any and all advise on budget alternatives to expensive aftermarket modifications. I plan on keeping and investing in this car for as long as it will keep going, as this entire build means a lot to me because it has vastly strengthened my relationship with my father. It will be a great way for me to remember him when he's gone.

I know this was a long post, but thank you all for taking the time to read about my project. Pictures to come!

F5_

Not-quite-so-new-guy

The new El Camino as it was given to me.

Gutted engine bay

L48 sitting in the restored engine bay before the pulleys, belts and radiator were attached. (Also apparently the right front tire???)

Cutting a black hood taken off a junkyard El Camino... I bothered him about putting safety gear on, but he just cut away in spite of my advice :/

L48 with spacer and carb scoop. Totally poser.

Scoop hood clearance, the bumper was off because it was being sanded for painting.

Driver POV

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
My pop's got me started in the g body game when I bought his 79 GP..... he recently drove my 85 GP ls1 swap and was very impressed! he even told me " this car isn't for us old guys" :lol: My message is enjoy it with your pop's and savor every moment!

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
My dad is actually the one that got me into Gbodys also. My Bu belonged to my uncle Richard who passed and we got the car. But the first time i saw it i was like wow what a grandmas car. Until me, my dad, and brother put the crate 350 in it the first time got it running and driving then the thing started growing on me. I didn't realize how awesome Gbodys were until that time we spent making one run! Now the Malibu is my favorite car. And ive owned a few in my day. Hell i own alot now just look at my sig below but yet its still my favorite!

F5_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
jacobdavis1979 said:
My dad is actually the one that got me into Gbodys also. My Bu belonged to my uncle Richard who passed and we got the car. But the first time i saw it i was like wow what a grandmas car. Until me, my dad, and brother put the crate 350 in it the first time got it running and driving then the thing started growing on me. I didn't realize how awesome Gbodys were until that time we spent making one run! Now the Malibu is my favorite car. And ive owned a few in my day. Hell i own alot now just look at my sig below but yet its still my favorite!

Haha wow those are a LOT of G-Bodies! Do you have any experience with tuning/modifying them? Any experience with modifying 350s?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Well wont call myself an expert but i can get em to run. Im pretty much what you call a google mechanic lol

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Well a nice roller cam set up around 480 lift, a good set of ported heads, with a dual plane intake and 600cfm carb I bet it would run pretty good. Especially with a matching torque converter.
But I bet some other users could help you get a nice setup.
But if that motor runs pretty good I would have fun with it a bit first until you're used to it then build it up.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Please give your Dad some goggles and ear muffs for Christmas. Sitting in the ER getting a bit of metal removed from your eyeball is not a pleasant way to spend the Holidays...and car parts are a better investment than a medical bill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor