Favorite 350 Heads for 1996 LT1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
So we are at a standstill finding/choosing new heads for my 350.

First inclination is to go with some used vortec heads, and hit a machine shop with them. That'll run around $500 bucks total.
Second is to pick one the numerous options/brands from Jegs or summit; ranging $600-$1400 for a set.

Anyone picked a good set of heads for a 4brl edelbrock carbureted 5.7L Gen1?

I am overwhelmed with options. We are throwing a mild $200 summit cam in there and likely getting a Vortec edelbrock intake manifold.

I just need some heads that put out a ton of HP over the turds that came on this non-vortec 1996 350 engine from a 2500 truck. This engine only puts out 200HP with these stock heads. Budget is $1000 for a pair.

Here's an example of a pair I'm looking at:

Last edited:

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If your not using a massive cam, just get Vortecs, swap the springs and retainers and be done with it. Huge improvement over any other factory casting.

Reactions: 2 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
If your not using a massive cam, just get Vortecs, swap the springs and retainers and be done with it. Huge improvement over any other factory casting.
That's what I was hoping to hear!

Not being lazy but there are a ton of vortec heads on summit and jegs. Any specific ones you recommend?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Having run them myself before, I would get a used set. Most u pull it yards only charge $40/head. $57 for the springs, and $120 for the retainers and you're done. That's what I did at least....

Reactions: 1 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I can get used ones off marketplace but pullapart yards are stripped these days (at least in TN). But okay, I'll just go with some cheap used ones and have them cleaned up at a machine shop.
Having run them myself before, I would get a used set. Most u pull it yards only charge $40/head. $57 for the springs, and $120 for the retainers and you're done. That's what I did at least....

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Are you building an LT1 or Vortec (classic) engine? Standard heads won't work on a LT engine.
Good question. It's an engine from 1996. Out of a 2500. He keeps saying vortec heads will fit on all first gen blocks.

His exact words:
" like I said earlier all gen one small blocks are the same from 55 all the way up to 02 heads will interchange all but the LT1 engines"

He's a smart guy and knows what he's talking about, I just don't.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Got a link to those springs? I assume you're talking LS6 springs, they're over $70 last I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor