Fbody Radiator in our cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

willny1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2011
My radiator started leaking. I am looking to replace it. Now I have read that the Fbody replacement radiator is a good upgrade to ours. Can anyone provide me with information as to why this is? Wouldn't a stock gbody rad be the same a the Fbody rad. Everything about the two stock rad. replacement look the same in the specs....Except the Fbody rad is a lot cheaper too!

As for those who already did the swap, I have a question...

Is the transmission cooler lines a direct fit? How much modification will I need to make these lines?

The radiator that I have on it now does not have any oiler cooler fittings, so maybe this car already has the fbody rad in it lol.

Car is an 86 regal, 350 SBC with a TH350.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I put the fbody rad in my car. It has plastic tanks and alum cores. The bottom trans line had to be moved below the lower rad hose IIRC. Don't know how much of an upgrade it is over the stock copper rad but it was cheaper.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Have had a few over the years, one in an 84 Calais with a 455 and it's now in my 83 Hurst Olds and just put one in my 85 442 with a 403.
The 455 ran super cool, I used distilled water with Water Wetter (followed the directions) and used 15% coolant.
Havent drove the 83 Hurst much and the 85 442 hasn't been started yet but from what I've heard they cool really nice.
I just received the one for my 442 from RockAuto two days ago, cost $93 after shipping etc...
As for fitment the bottom transline is just moved to below the lower rad hose, not an issue.
Just be sure not to booger up the line when moving it.

willny1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies fellas. Going to go ahead and order it. Found the rad for really cheap. $62 total lol

its a ready-rad part # 433918.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I plan on ordering a 4 core brass and copper f body radiator from napa one of these days, no one seems to have anything to help cool a high compression motor in a gbody anymore.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
aren't most g body brass radiators 4 core?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i use a large b-body radiator, same size as the f-body radiator except the transmission cooler lines dont have to be bent or moved. it bolts right in place of a V8 g-body radiator.

im pretty sure if you look for like a 89 caprice with heavy duty cooling you'll find one like mine AND you wont have to move a transmission line to make it work.

just trying to help people avoid more work than is necessary.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
custom442 said:
aren't most g body brass radiators 4 core?
=========================================================================================================
No. I think most are probably a two row. I've been using a 3-row(brass) Modine for some time now. In fact, this is my second one. It keeps it pretty cool. It will inch up while stopped at a light for extended periods, but an electric fan should cure that.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
i use a large b-body radiator, same size as the f-body radiator except the transmission cooler lines dont have to be bent or moved. it bolts right in place of a V8 g-body radiator.

im pretty sure if you look for like a 89 caprice with heavy duty cooling you'll find one like mine AND you wont have to move a transmission line to make it work.

just trying to help people avoid more work than is necessary.
=========================================================================================================
I didn't realize that the B-body rads were the same dimensions as a F or G-body. That's good to know.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i dont think many people are aware of that which kind of surprises me since people use other parts off caprices like the brake booster, master cylinder, license plate holder, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor