feedback carb throttle position sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I still have (in California) the Buick V6 everyone else here has already swapped out. Since it's an '83 it has the computer and (in California) it has smogcheck.

Recently it started acting up, including like it was trying to stall while accelerating at about 45-50 mph. So I checked the resistance on the TPS, across the middle (signal) and bottom (ground) pins, and found a dead spot between about 3.7-4.0 kOhms. So I ordered a brand new ACDelco replacement, which just arrived today. Testing it I find the same dead spot only narrower, at about 3.8 kOhms.

What's going on here? If I send this one back, will the exchange do the same thing? Are they all like this? Anyone have experience? Or even knowledge?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: By "dead spot" I mean the multimeter reads "O.L." meaning "Overload: Range Exceeded."

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Yes, I know there may be other reasons why it's "acting up," but right now I'm just trying to figure out the TPS. Wondering if this is some kind of signal pulse that tells the computer where the throttle actually is, regardless of how the TPS is adjusted, and not anything wrong with the TPS.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
No no, it's just the opposite. If you move too fast you won't see it. You have to move real slow to catch it.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Yes, but it's hard to stay dead on it. Just a tiny twitch and it goes away. Thing is though, it's always in the same spot -- and like I said, it's in the same spot on these two different TPSes. I think the one on the car is a Wells from Autozone, while this new one is ACDelco. Couldn't be more different, but they both do essentially the same thing. And with different multimeters, too.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, I guess you have to ask yourself if that tiny little dead spot is enough to cause the problem? Do you really think a 1983 EPROM would react that quickly? I'm going to say no. Maybe start checking vacuum leaks, ignition pickup or module, etc...

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I agree, it hardly seems likely that this would be the cause of my woes. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it, or happens to know about it. If this is a "feature" of this type of TPS, maybe that's why they have a reputation for not lasting very long. Maybe they're more durable than people think, and get blamed for things they don't cause.

EDIT: I think the Wells TPS that's on the car now was installed for this very reason. That was several years but less than 18k miles ago. Unfortunately my calendar note from the time only mentions "TPS follies" so I don't have the exact dead spot that prompted me to install the Wells. I love it when I do things like that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Maybe a bent plunger rod in the airhorn?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Clone -- You have the same TPS. What's your opinion on this dead spot being a "feature" of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor