Feeling Scrappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The latest victim: 62" Mitsu DLP. The kid is having a ball playing with the lenses! I'll keep the fans and speakers. My buddy wants the bulb, chip, and remote for backup on his. Steel, aluminum, insulated wire, and PCBs are getting money:
20190103_202522.jpg

Plastic goes in the recycling
20190103_202532.jpg
Now, what the **** di I do with a big *ss, trapezoidal mirror? I have enough bad luck; don't want to break it!!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
We took my brother's expensive LS swap radiator for his 78 Z28 (what I thought was a lot of aluminum), the copper/brass heater core out of my car and the evaporator core out of my car for scrap. It was like $5. To pull my truck into that mudhole? Next time I'll just put it in the recycling.

Around here if you don't separate it all they will give you appx $70 a tonne " mixed clippings ".
Friend runs a sign biz and as we take the signs down we separate it all. Extrusion ( alum ) is $.80 a pound, sheet alum ( old ) is $0,50 per pound, wire with the insulation is $0.35 a pound but if you strip the insulation it's over $3 a pound.
First 2 signs we brought in and didn't separate the metals we got like $ 45. Now each sign we pull we split it all up ( takes about an hour with 2 of us ) and get $300 or so. Wire is a PIA so we don't bother stripping the insulation unless it's #1

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I cut up my Trans Am I figured I could score some cash for the scrap. I barely made enough to cover the cost of the discs I used cutting it. DOH!
P1260555_zpsnqqupwl5.jpg

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Last trip to the scrapyard was disappointing. Steel was down to about $90 a ton, I brought over 7000 lbs and walked (drove?) away with $324. That's the lowest I've seen, I was figuring on around $120 a ton, It pays to make a phone call and check before loading the trailer.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is why I give my scrap metal away - helps those willing to make the effort more than it ever would me.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I scored a whopping $41 today. Oh, well that's better than paying to dump it. Steel was a whoppin $.06/lb. I should have waited it out, but I've been in cleanup mode. My one buddy that does HVAC (scraps a ton of take out units) says it usually follows fuel prices (which have been low).

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
When my kids were little, and they wanted money for video games and such, I told them if you want money, go scrappin. They would search the neighborhood on trash days and bring home metal trinkets and cords off appliances and I would augment their findings with heavy iron out of the back of the work truck. Once the younger boy brought home a 1950's refrigerator on a red wagon. Then they got to load and unload the pickup. They even made a deal with the manager of the apartments to take away a sh@tton of old washers, dryers and gutters. I think they gave the manager a 25% cut, which was 25% more than paying a junk pickup service to take them.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I used to save rotors, drums, and hub/bearing assemblies. They were the most $/ton for ferrous metal. Plus easy to get. I would do at least two brake jobs a week, plus the local Ford dealer that I used to manage is only a mile away. I'd take in a load, usually about 700 lbs. Maybe twice a year. Then price plummeted. Not worth my time and in addition I don't do as much side work any more. Last time I went was two years ago or so, only got $50 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor