Fender replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
I need to replace my passenger side fender, inner fender, and wheel well, and have a couple questions. What do I need to remove before I can replace them? I need to find a way to get to the bolts between the fender and door. Am I going to need to remove the header panel to take off the inner fender or wheel well? Any other help or tips would be great, since I really need to get this done as quick as possible. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As a general rule, the header panel will need to be at least partially removed to replace a fender. While the attachment varies by model, as a general rule there will be bolts in the door opening, around the wheel well, possibly under the fender by the door rocker panel area, behind the header panel, under the hood, and the header panel will have bolts attaching it to the fender that are accessible through a window in the inner fender. Also, the hood hinge will have to be unbolted as well. Expect to remove somewhere around 20-25 fasteners by the time you are done. Bolt sizes will mostly be 10mm, but there will be some 13mm and maybe one 15mm bolt as well.

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
Well, all the bolts that hold the fender to the inner fender are 30T torx bolts. I can see most of the rest of what I have to remove. Thanks for the help, 85CB. Knew I could count on you for an answer.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The fender and inner fender can come off in one piece.

Mark the location of the hinges with some masking tape, and remove your hood.

Remove any accessories in the way that are mounted on the wheel well.

You might be able to get away with just loosening the one side of your header panel, but if it were me, I'd remove both the header panel, and bumper cover just to be sure that it won't crack anything while you're trying to move it around.

Unbolt the fender from the core support and wheel well.

Then it's just a matter of the bolt at the top of the fender on the cowl, one or two in the door jamb, and one from underneath.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
When I took off my hood, I just unbolted the hinges from the inner fender, so the hinges come off with the hood. Then you just bolt it back on, not having to worry about the gaps on either side. Just my 2 cents...

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
That is how I have to do it, since the hinges are one of the things in the way of removing the fender. So, it would make sense to re-attach the new fender to the new inner fender before putting them both on? I figured that would be easier anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor