Few Questions for you guys! car problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2009
Littlerock Ar
Hi Guys

The question i have is, after i dirve the car for a while at speeds of 65-70 and let off the gas there is sometime a lil smoke that cones from the car and some time it does it when i take a conner to hard.

the other question i have is, if i have to break real hard the car wants to die on me. i have to feather the gas a lil to keep it running.

am thinking it has somthing to do with the carb but not sure. any help or info i would be thankful!

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
stackser said:
Hi Guys

The question i have is, after i dirve the car for a while at speeds of 65-70 and let off the gas there is sometime a lil smoke that cones from the car and some time it does it when i take a conner to hard.
Sounds like you have bad oil rings or valve seals, most likely valve seals.

stackser said:
the other question i have is, if i have to break real hard the car wants to die on me. i have to feather the gas a lil to keep it running. am thinking it has somthing to do with the carb but not sure. any help or info i would be thankful!

Your Torque converter lockup could be getting stuck (TCC solenoid) or could be a fuel problem with the fuel pump, fuel filter or float in the carb.

How many miles are on the car?
Could be time for a rebuild of the carb and valve seals or a fresh motor might be cheaper if there are allot of miles.
307's like to burn oil and lose compression after 100k-150k miles.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sadly, the V6 does not have a good reputation for longevity. Back when these cars were common, the V6 was thought to be on borrowed time when it passed 75k. The issue is that the aluminum timing housing is also the housing for the steel oil pump gears. Over time the aluminum wears away and oil pressure drops, eventually killing the bearings. The Buick V6/ TH200C drivetrain was a real lemon of a combo when these cars were new.

As for your problems, I am not sure exactly what you mean. Does it idle poorly all the time, like when sitting at a light with the brakes applied, or just initially while braking? Does it gradually get worse and feel like it is lugging the engine while the car is slowing? If so, that is the torque converter clutch. It could be bad itself, the brake light switch may be faulty, or the TPS is not properly set if this is the case. It could also be a bad idle speed setting, a bad vacuum line, or even a bad brake booster. Then there is the possibility that the ignition components are excessively worn or old and no longer firing reliably at idle.

stackser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2009
Littlerock Ar
thanks

the problem is when i have to break hard, like if i have to slam on the breaks. Thats when it happens so i have to give it a little gas to keep it running when i take off again its fine. a few times the oil/choke light would flash after i put it in park but thats after driving the car on the hwy at around 70-75.

am going to do a lil cleaning of the carb and check the vac lines in the morning. ill let you know if i find anything else out

i do want to but another v6 eng in the old girl but cant right now, i like the lil 6 its a good daily driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor