Mar 31, 2011
Can you use bondo body filler to fix dash cracks? Any suggestions are welcome

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
cuttybuddyluva said:
Can you use bondo body filler to fix dash cracks? Any suggestions are welcome
==========================================================================================================
A guy I once spoke to used bondo to fill dash cracks, but he put a dash cap on top. Marine tex might be another good product for that. He cut away the high areas and feathered it out with plastic filler.
Another option would be using fabric on the dash. Infact, a member on this forum had used fabric, and it looked pretty good.

Do you plan on doing the dashcap thing? If so, you'd want to smooth out the existing dash surface so it doesn't show thru the dashcap.

cuttybuddyluva

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2011
No dash cap i was gonna try the bondo

original442

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2010
Grand Prairie, Texas
i heard bondo isnt good for the cracks... you should just go to the junk yard and look for another dash...i got mine out of a 4 door cutlass...im planning on using some blk sem paint on it when i get the money and time to send my seats to get dressed up :mrgreen:

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
The dash repair kit is available through eastwood.com for around $30 plus shipping

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know Eastwood sells a plastic welding kit. I assume that's what you mean. I notice when Just Dashes repairs a dash to be reskinned, I believe they fill the cracks with expandable foam before applying a new skin.

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Ya the dash filler is included with the repair kit.

RELL88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2010
California
DO NOT FILL WITH BONDO!!! lol

I will look fine sanded down for the time being, but will crack over time.

If anything, you could fill in the cracks with reinforced body filler, aka duraglass/kitty hair/evercoat 'everglass' etc. Body filler with fiberglass strands in it. Much better stuff. THEN you can finished it off with a regular light weight body filler *very thin layer

What is the final finish you are trying to get with the dash?

Smooth and painted?
Smooth it out then hit it with a texture coat?
Or wrap it after the cracks are repaired?

EDIT- Wait where exactly are the cracks located? any pics?

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
imo dashpad and evrything u need will come with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor