Fiberglass bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I bought the ‘el cheapo’ fiberglass bumpers sold on ebay. Although I wouldn’t exactly call them cheap in dollars language. They fit decent, are very flimsy, look great (to me) when installed, install easy enough, and dang they are light weight!

Here is the weight difference on a very good medical scale.

Two stock 1980 Malibu bumpers with bumper guards and no belt trim along with four shock style mounts weigh in at 115 pounds.

Two glass bumpers with 1-1/2” roll bar tubing frame braces front and rear weigh in at 27 pounds.

This weight loss will offset some of what I added in the name of performance. Rear sway bar, heavier front sway bar, full 3” exhaust, and maybe a little more.

Here are pics of finished rear bumper and rear frame brace.

D3FDABA7-EDB7-4176-8A1E-33D20B481E09.jpeg
571EF6E4-095E-465B-9BC9-44CEC4A25329.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks good, man. Adding the bracing between the bumper mounting flanges was definitely a step in the right direction. I guess you actually eliminate the reinforcement behind the bumper.

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Looking sharp, I like the tucked bumper look on the Malibu’s. I bought a set from Lauren before they closed up..... we’ll see next year how they fit.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think the reinforcement bar should have spikes facing rearward that will be hidden by the bumper.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I'd think that the rollbars with the way they mount would also do a little more to stiffen frame from twist than the standard bumpers through the shock mounts would.
If you feel they are too flimsy, you could add material to the insides to further stiffen ,whether it be regular glass mat with polyester or epoxy resin or one of the lower cost carbon fiber mat fabrics & epoxy.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I'd think that the rollbars with the way they mount would also do a little more to stiffen frame from twist than the standard bumpers through the shock mounts would.
If you feel they are too flimsy, you could add material to the insides to further stiffen ,whether it be regular glass mat with polyester or epoxy resin or one of the lower cost carbon fiber mat fabrics & epoxy.

If I had one worry it would be the air coming under the car and in behind the rear bumper. I will likely add a couple of straps or braces between the bar and the bottom of the bumper for peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
1/2 inch copper tubing with the ends flattened and drilled works great for that. I did it on my Choo Choo nose. Light, strong for that purpose, and won’t rust.

• Creative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor