Fighting the urge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRLeadfoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2021
Here’s my dilemma - one owner 1985 SS, 100% completely original. Has been in the family since the day it rolled off the showroom floor. The 305 is in theory a V8 yes, but not well suited to move a heavy car like that, not like a 350 would… hence my dilemma: should I do what I can to punch up the 305 to keep it a numbers matching car, or should I get a 350 and just do the swap and live with my guilty (but much faster) conscience?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Put the 305 on a stand to be able to have the original engine when it needs to be original again, fill empty void with SBC of larger displacement. Power output might make you spend more money on the trans & rear, suspension upgrades, stiffening braces, teeth brightners cause you won't be able to stop smiling. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

JRLeadfoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2021
I think long term that might be the best plan of attack, but for now I’m leaning towards some simple bolt on’s and many tuning the carb for some refreshed power. I just don’t think I can bring myself to tear apart such a complete and original car, specifically since it runs fine as is.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sadly many direct fit performance parts are long discontinued. The HO L69 305 responds very well to mods. First one is advance the base timing to 8 or 10 degress BTDC. A member on the MCSS forum sells ZZ4 PROM chips which are hotter than the stock L69 chips, but you would need an 87 or 88 ECM. The old TES or Hooker 2050 headers were great upgrades and can be found used. There is also the rare F body dual snorkal aircleaner that adds 10 HP.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Do it. Tear it up. Keep pushing those survivor prices to the stratosphere. I was thinking more along the lines of a 502, but a 350 would work.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
this headline's rather misleading btw..i was going to suggest a cold shower but now that's become moot..

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You could get 305 Vortec 059 heads and a carbed Vortec intake, that would bump you to about 300 HP. Between 350 to 400 HP, G bodies start to require reinforcing in the frame and body. They were never built to withstand high HP.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Just me. Ditch the CCC system and the 305. You can "fog" it if you ever intend to put it in again. 383, then rebuild the trans then buy a rear. Upgrade the brakes while you are at it. Put the 305 valve covers back on it and the orig air cleaner and nobody will know different

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor