Figuring out displacement on a mystery Olds motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
My son is looking to swap the 260 out of his 78 Calais for something bigger. A hardcore Pontiac friend of mine just bought a '74 Ventura with an Olds motor in it that he wants gone. The seller told him it was a 350. I know in '75 they started putting 260's in them, but this is definitely a '74 and they only used Pontiac 350's that year. So....... anyone know for sure how to determine what size it Is? And yes it is definitely Olds and not Pontiac.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
You can tell by the casting number between the water pump and China wall, next to the oil fill tube.

If I remember correctly, it's just a series of numbers that need to be decoded. It doesn't actually show the displacement, right?

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
I have this in the Cutlass forum, but i figured I'd check here, too. My son is looking to swap the 260 out of his 78 Calais for something bigger. A hardcore Pontiac friend of mine just bought a '74 Ventura with an Olds motor in it that he wants gone. The seller told him it was a 350. I know in '75 they started putting 260's in them, but this is definitely a '74 and they only used Pontiac 350's that year. So....... anyone know for sure how to determine what size it Is? And yes it is definitely Olds and not Pontiac.

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
does it have the typical oil filler tube? if so what are the block casting # on block next to the filler tube? what # is on cylinder heads next to the #1 spark plug?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
If I remember correctly, it's just a series of numbers that need to be decoded. It doesn't actually show the displacement, right?[/QUO
It’s a casting number snap a pic and post it we can tell you what it is snap a pic of the left front head there’s going to be a number there if it’s a sbo like a 5,6,7,7a,8 and so

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Yes it has the typical oil fill tube. Not sure about the castings. The car is at his place yet. Won't be back over there til tomorrow eve. Trying to get my ducks all in a row before going back over there. Don't wanna go through all the hassle of trailoring it home tomorrow if it just has another 260 in it. The other no.s are just part #'s that will need to be deciphered, correct?

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
olds casting.jpg
olds head.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor