Filling the Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
Hey guys, just a quick question for a general consensus... when filling an empty differential after a rebuild, and putting on a diff cover with a fill hole, what would you say is the proper procedure and amount for filling up the differential case.

A: Factory manual says 3.7 pints when servicing
B: Factory fill hole on the side and fill til fluid starts to run out
C: Fill from the Diff cover hole until fluid starts to run out

I appreciate it like always fellas!!!!

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Remove factory plug. Fill from any location until fluid starts seeping out of the factory plug hole.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's, of course, IF you can get the factory plug out. It's really soft, and I mangled mine. I ended up popping the vent and used a zip tie as a dickstick.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Use the factory plug. IF by chance the fill plug in the cover is the same height then use that, but most times it is just that a fill opening, and the factory plug is the gauge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's, of course, IF you can get the factory plug out. It's really soft, and I mangled mine. I ended up popping the vent and used a zip tie as a dickstick.

I clean out the plug and take a 12" 3/8" extension and beat it with my favorite mini sledge before I try turning it out and that seems to work. When I put it back I use penty of antiseize

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
That is they way I did it as well guys. Thanks for the feedback and reassurance! Finally done with that chapter of this build. What a learning exp[experience! I am glad that I had a great group of guys like y'all to help and advise me along the way. Now it decision time..... to box or not to box the frame...... Yea, I know if i am worried about twisting the frame then WTH did I build a crappy 7.5 10 bolt........ cuz it was what I had, it was cheap to do, and it is my first so if (when) the 406 sbc with 500 hp/500- ft. lbs of torque shells it I will have the 9" ready to go in it's place! 😎👍🤟🤘
but.... Idk if I should box the frame. I got every suspension and steering brace that UMI offers, a very stout G-Force cross member, so for peeps have said it isn't necessary. I am not looking to take it to the track, or hook up and launch the sucker. Just a mean lil street car for shows and to some fun! Not gonna upgrade the hp or tq either in the future. I figure if I need to do that then I will find a Gen 1 and really get crazy!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor