Finally an electric car I can get behind... aka what ford shouldve done for a mustang mach-e

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
There are a number of companies that will convert a vehicle to EV, or sell the parts for you to do it yourself. Unfortunately, we’re the minority in that most of the buyers of new cars want CUVs/SUVs so that’s what the automakers produce.

I do believe we’re in a performance golden era and we’ll look back at 2015 to maybe 2025 as the good ol days.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
There are a number of companies that will convert a vehicle to EV, or sell the parts for you to do it yourself. Unfortunately, we’re the minority in that most of the buyers of new cars want CUVs/SUVs so that’s what the automakers produce.

I do believe we’re in a performance golden era and we’ll look back at 2015 to maybe 2025 as the good ol days.
Age old question... do they make it because people want it, or, do people buy it because it's what's available and pushed on them?

When the choice is a low sedan, or, a similar mpg and size "cuv" abandoning the sedan makes sense.

However, look at the prices and demand for 20 year old gmt400 2dr blazer/jimmy/tahoe/Yukon with 250k miles for 8k.... or the large coupe riviera's with 200k for 4-5k and 100k models for 8-10k?

If you built vehicles like that obviously there is demand. Just don't make a subcompact bubble coupe or price a full size one at 45-50k and you can get buyers. It doesn't cost more to make the 2dr, the metal and glass cost the same. If anything it ought to be cheaper because you make less tooling pieces and use less unique parts like hinges/trim/studs/etc....

Same thing with colors. Automakers decided to go with a heavy black/grey/silver/white/tan because they're much cheaper to build. Not because buyers wouldn't get other colors. All about boosting profit margins.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Only downside to such a thing is you (maybe) need to buy a rust free nice interior example first (or go rat rod) then pay for a conversion.

Not that it isn't cool, it is, but wouldn't you rather be able to walk in and just buy something 100% new?

I guess they're repoping complete new 1st Gen Mustang bodies these days that sort of fit the bill, and repoping all interior too. But I'd rather see mainstream automakers make more thing, you know, worth buying.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I DD a large sedan (MKS) and have a large sedan (b body) and an intermediate “coupe” (g body) in the toy box. To me there’s something about a car that’s missing in other styles of vehicles. I understand why my retired parents want easy entry/exit of a suv and I understand why my wife likes the extra interior space for all the kids crap. Market the convenience, the tech, the commanding view (implied safety) and people buy it up.

The answer to your age old question is yes. It’s all about profit at the OEMs, but there is one thing that’s commonly missed in the discussion and that’s CAFE requirements. SUVs came to rule because “trucks” are exempt from the same fuel economy regulations as “cars”, and most SUVs and CUVs are considered trucks. The 98 regency driver now rocks his Yukon Denali.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I DD a large sedan (MKS) and have a large sedan (b body) and an intermediate “coupe” (g body) in the toy box. To me there’s something about a car that’s missing in other styles of vehicles. I understand why my retired parents want easy entry/exit of a suv and I understand why my wife likes the extra interior space for all the kids crap. Market the convenience, the tech, the commanding view (implied safety) and people buy it up.

The answer to your age old question is yes. It’s all about profit at the OEMs, but there is one thing that’s commonly missed in the discussion and that’s CAFE requirements. SUVs came to rule because “trucks” are exempt from the same fuel economy regulations as “cars”, and most SUVs and CUVs are considered trucks. The 98 regency driver now rocks his Yukon Denali.
IIRC the magic number for truck exemption from CAFE is 8600# GVWR. Above that doesn't even require economy ratings on the monroney.

That's the reason why the f150 had the all aluminum body, to help with weight and fuel economy for the fleet average because so many fell under the 8600# threshold.

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
IIRC the magic number for truck exemption from CAFE is 8600# GVWR. Above that doesn't even require economy ratings on the monroney.

That's the reason why the f150 had the all aluminum body, to help with weight and fuel economy for the fleet average because so many fell under the 8600# threshold.
That’s correct, and it’s tiered below the 8600. It’s been a few years since I’ve worked in automotive so I don’t remember the exact requirements. It’s the same reasons why SUVs can have tinted rear windows and cars cannot. None of it makes any sense but who ever said government regulations have to make sense?

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor