Finally found 8.5 rear somewhat by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu80

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2008
Seattle washington
I regularly scan Craigslist for parts for my Malibu and noticed an ad that said 78-88 Monte Carlo 3:73 posi for $1000. The first thing I thought was that seems rather overpriced for a 7.5" rear and never decided to click on the ad. This ad had been running for 3 weeks. Well 2 days ago I see the ad again but this time it came up as 78-88 G body 3:73 posi for $1000. This time I clicked on the ad and to my amazement there's one piece of info added and that is 8.5". I called and now am the proud owner of a 8.5", 3:73 posi rear. Talking to the owner, he said he had a friend post the ad on Craigslist and was wondering why it had sold yet. He asked what was placed in the ad and he knew right away why it hadn't sold. People thought as I had in the original ad that for a $1000 for a Monte Carlo SS 7.5" 3:73 posi was way overpriced and people never called. When the new ad appeared there was no mention that it was a 8.5 until you clicked on the ad for further description. People seeing the last ad probably thought same guy in the first ad trying to sell the same rear and never bothered to click on the ad. I did tell the owner that it didnt come from a Monte Carlo SS but rather from an Olds 442.

Al

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
not bad! i had a similar experience with craigslist too. i found a 7.5" 3.73 rearend from a monte ss for $50. i showed up and the guy gave me a set of shocks, springs, all the brakes, and 2 quarts of gear oil!! too bad it wasnt an 8.5" haha

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
good deal craigslist is great for these type of finds. i too just came up on a great deal last week. the guy first add 2 months ago price was at $800 and to make a long story short i got it for $500 cash. its a 8.5 with 3.73 and NON posi from an 442 and very happy about the deal

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I just picked up a 8.5 posi rear end from a GN with 3.42's and rear disc brakes for $700. People are selling stuff that they would normally keep these days due to the poor economy.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
84GP455 said:
I just picked up a 8.5 posi rear end from a GN with 3.42's and rear disc brakes for $700. People are selling stuff that they would normally keep these days due to the poor economy.

So true! I picked up my 8.5 posi G Nat rear with 3.73's for $600 Peeps are giving stuff away now days. Good find on that one. Im gonna try to get mine installed this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor