finally got vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lelanb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2015
Edit: changed title, I now have the vortec heads and need all help and advice I can get

i had a post not too long ago about vortec heads but ran into a lot of other problems i needed to fix on the car beforehand, now since my budge is wayyy less i was wondering if these heads would do anything for me. its 50$ for the pair from a mc ss

right now i have the lt9 truck 350 with the smogger heads and low compression, i know these will raise my compression but they dont have the best flow so would they even be worth my 50$, if not are there any junkyard cars with nice heads you guys can think of

Last edited:

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Not sure what a lt9 truck head is? If its has a 4 bolt valve covers they are low compression heads. If they are center bolt heads then they have the 64cc chambers and flow OK to about 4800rpm and then poop out. Save your money and get the vortec and you will be a lot more happy with them. Do it once and do it right, saves time and money.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
i had a post not too long ago about vortec heads but ran into a lot of other problems i needed to fix on the car beforehand, now since my budge is wayyy less i was wondering if these heads would do anything for me. its 50$ for the pair from a mc ss

right now i have the lt9 truck 350 with the smogger heads and low compression, i know these will raise my compression but they dont have the best flow so would they even be worth my 50$, if not are there any junkyard cars with nice heads you guys can think of
If you can find the 062 heads on a 96+ GM truck with a 350, those are the desirable vortec heads.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
For $50 and better compression then what you've got, wouldn't hurt if you don't have to change your whole top end to accommodate them or rebuild them. Can always save up for the Vortec swap at a later date. It's either baby steps or one giant leap, but the choice is yours.

lelanb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2015
So believe it or not I ran into a guy earlier today and after a little talking he sold me a pair of 906 vortec heads for 100$ he had in his garage that he never got around to installing

What all do I need for this swap, I know I need an intake, valve covers, gaskets and rocker arms, what else am I forgetting , also what do I do about the current hot air choke on my 350, none of the intake manifolds I see have any and I really prefer the hot air, the motor already has a mild cam which I know nothing about(past owner installed) so I'm really hoping it doesn't have too much lift

And lastly how much should to expect pay for hot tank cleaning, or should I just clean em myself

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think I still have a full set of self aligning rockers from vortec heads. If you want them you can have them for the postage and I'll take a look for them

Reactions: 1 users

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
None of the heads have a heat cross over so that is out. I just run a electric choke and it work well for me. As for the heads just presser wash the best you can (car wash with hot water and soap) blow dry and go from their.

lelanb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2015
None of the heads have a heat cross over so that is out. I just run a electric choke and it work well for me. As for the heads just presser wash the best you can (car wash with hot water and soap) blow dry and go from their.
I read somewhere about power washing then putting em in the dishwasher, how do you feel about that one?

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I think that would be a great idea. I DON"T think my wife would think the same thing. I do have a big industrial washer that I can do a sbc block or 4 cylinder heads at a one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor