Finally have a headlight out. Looking for upgrade recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I went with the halogens with the replaceable bulb. Under $200.00, well made and wow what a difference.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I personally love mine, but I do get high beamed a lot so will probably change the outers at some point
20200718_233614.jpg

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I run sylvania silver star in all my old cars. Under $50 for a pair.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Holley has a line, I think someone on the forum mentioned them a while back and I saved the link

Reactions: 2 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If you're up in the air about updated headlights and the end result with them Consider doing the headlight relay upgrade,it puts direct battery power to your headlights instead of the power coming from the fuse Box.Is that results in a much brighter headlight. In my experience putting an H4 style bulb in these cars isn't that much brighter With everything else in stock form.

Yeah the H4 style kits use a relay so you are using direct batter power.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Everyone had their reasons, and, I take the opinion generally that anyone should be able to do whatever they want to the car they own unless it's some irreplaceable piece of history somehow.

I just implore those that do go down the road do it responsibly. If you're shining light further out, that means the beams are higher up. That blinds drivers coming close to you, depending how its aimed can be worse sometimes than it needs to be as well. So keep that in mind, along with everything else.

But you're right, to some limited degree a clear new glass bulb lens has some increased efficiency over one thats had a decade of grit and bug impact abrasion. Massive? Not usually. But, not all bulbs are made equal to others either, just like not all conversions are equal to others when it comes to keeping light where it matters and away from where it's a hazard.

All lights should aim slightly to the right and slightly down so we're not all blinding each other. A lot of my cruising is done on long, single lane, semi-rural roads so I definitely don't want to punish the oncoming drivers. Studies show drivers will tend to drift into excessively bright light.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
They zap FM radio reception?
Yeah, best guess is they are using a poorly designed switch mode power supply circuit that turns the headlight wiring into an antenna for the noise coming out of the power supply. Doesn't effect me as I primarily use XM in the Pontiac, but I cant recommend them to anyone simply because if that glaring of a design defect is okay to the manufacturer, what other issues were also considered okay.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Yeah the H4 style kits use a relay so you are using direct batter power.
not all do. That stand alone relay upgrade does wonders with stock sealed beam headlights.thats one of the reasons i mentioned it incase switching to the later bulb/housing wasn't going to happen

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor