finally selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Hello everyone, if you dont remember me, i come to this forum a few months ago because i have a 1978 buick regal with 22k miles that was kept in the garage. well recently i have been fixing it up and i have a problem with the brake line. after multiple days of trying to patch up a 4" section i have decided i am going to sell it how it is. i would like to thank every one of you for just helping me out, giving me information and just being cool people. going into this project i never did a thing on any car, yet i learned so much within the past few months. i am pretty sad it has to go but the new owner will hopefully take better care of it than me. someone is coming to look at it on saturday and he really wants the car, he works for ups and i guess since he wants it so bad he stopped his ups truck on the street just to talk to my grandma about the car. im not meaning to post this to try to get buyers i just thought you guys would like to hear the story. but anyways i am hoping to get 5k on the car, but i doubt i will get that much. again thank you guys for helping me through this journey, it has been very fun and frustrating at parts, but it was well worth it.
Heres some pics of the car and the craigslist post http://imgur.com/a/9DZub
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5975613165.html

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Good looking car. Has a lot of potential. From someone that's sold multiple cars on craigs list do yourself a favor and clean it up, fix anything that stands out that's cheap and wasy to fix. A good wash, wax and clean will go a long way on a car that needs it ! Definitely can squeeze a few hundred more bucks that way. First impressions are everything . Don't be that person that regrets selling !

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Selling because of a brake line? Ok man. In the shape it's in it is worth the 5k, but the brake line might scare some people off. Good luck either way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Informative

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the picture with the Alpine tape deck just brought me back 25 years to rocking Thin Lizzy full blast..... the boys are back in town, the boys are back, the boys are back....... LOL

good luck with the sale ! Like others mentioned, 99% of the people ( including me ) will really lowball a car they cannot drive. Cuts the value by 1/2 in my books. And don't patch a safety item like a brake line, just replace it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would also suggest replacing the brakeline. I feel the car would bring top money if it's turnkey and ready to go. It's a very nice car that presents well. You won't find another '78 with 22,000 miles on it, that's for sure. It's a rare find.
Give it a good wash and wax and don't be shy about putting a higher price tag on it.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Maybe take the valve covers off and shoot em with some GM blue paint, and repaint the air cleaner and core support, what you can reach anyway. Polish this (not) turd as much as you can! It's something in our subconscious, clean cars always sell better than dirty ones. It's all about presentation.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's a nice car regardless, but, I have to bring up the following...

And, I have to be honest here, and nothing against you or your grandparents... I just have to ask, because, in many ways, that looks like a well kept always garaged 122k mile car parked at 14 years old rather than original 22k time capsule... are there maintenance receipts between 78 and 91 showing only about 1500 miles a year being put on? Because 122k is still only 8700 miles a year, in itself pretty low of a number. Or did they just say whatever is showing is what the mileage is like most older folk I've met do?

The biggest red flag to me is the drivers side carpet near the kick panel. It LOOKS very worn down from having feet rest on the rise there while driving. It COULD just be dirt from a very muddy shoe stepping on it, but it LOOKS like the carpet was matted and worn down. That doesn't happen in 22k...

The underhood dirty ness and rust, paint coming off painted engine areas... well, maybe it was driven on some dirt roads, or in the winter, or ??? Typically though, most low mileage cars I come across don't present that level of wear, even after sitting for a while. Looks an awful lot like the 1983 with 172k on it my parents bought new though, even down to the glossy factory lacquer and original floormats, light brake pedal wear and all the rest.

I only ask because there is a big difference between selling a car as "22k showing" and "22k original miles"... especially if someone learns something else later in.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
the picture with the Alpine tape deck just brought me back 25 years to rocking Thin Lizzy full blast..... the boys are back in town, the boys are back, the boys are back....... LOL

good luck with the sale ! Like others mentioned, 99% of the people ( including me ) will really lowball a car they cannot drive. Cuts the value by 1/2 in my books. And don't patch a safety item like a brake line, just replace it.
haha is that radio any good? apparently my uncle installed it when he was a teen.

• Agree

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
It's a nice car regardless, but, I have to bring up the following...

And, I have to be honest here, and nothing against you or your grandparents... I just have to ask, because, in many ways, that looks like a well kept always garaged 122k mile car parked at 14 years old rather than original 22k time capsule... are there maintenance receipts between 78 and 91 showing only about 1500 miles a year being put on? Because 122k is still only 8700 miles a year, in itself pretty low of a number. Or did they just say whatever is showing is what the mileage is like most older folk I've met do?

The biggest red flag to me is the drivers side carpet near the kick panel. It LOOKS very worn down from having feet rest on the rise there while driving. It COULD just be dirt from a very muddy shoe stepping on it, but it LOOKS like the carpet was matted and worn down. That doesn't happen in 22k...

The underhood dirty ness and rust, paint coming off painted engine areas... well, maybe it was driven on some dirt roads, or in the winter, or ??? Typically though, most low mileage cars I come across don't present that level of wear, even after sitting for a while. Looks an awful lot like the 1983 with 172k on it my parents bought new though, even down to the glossy factory lacquer and original floormats, light brake pedal wear and all the rest.

I only ask because there is a big difference between selling a car as "22k showing" and "22k original miles"... especially if someone learns something else later in.
you are right, it looks used but its because i have no running water to wash the car. i do have a few maintenence reciepts but it was just for the right front caliper being rebuilt. also you can definately tell its a low milage car in person, underneath there is no rust that goes through anything, and the trunk looks like it literally came out of the factory. also the leather seats are perfect which is a dead giveaway its low milage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor