Finally starting work on my 78 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Well this el camino I've had for about a year but finally got her up and running. I saved it from a towing yard on a lean sale and put it on the back burner. Recently I changed the oil and lower radiator hose plugs wires vacuum lines re set the timing put in a deck. I even got it to pass smog in ca lol. I have removed alot of trim and started touching the body a little as far as bed trim delete and started the drip rails. I bolted up the front lower spoiler I pulled of a ss a while back and that's about were I'm at oh yea and I put a tach since there wasn't one. It has the original 305 with auto 3 speed View attachment 43316

Neuron

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2012
SOCAL
Passing smog here, now that is an accomplishment, congrats! How about a picture or two? Couldn't get the attachment to work.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
20150821_204648.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Here's 1 picture I finally got my phone to post pics haha. I'll post some more now that I got things working.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
20150322_183715.jpg
This is what it looked like when I brought it home

Reactions: 1 user

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
The new plans for the elcoe is to swap over a lt1 and 4l60e from a 94 z28 I have sitting in my garage the reason for the swap is for one the camaro is looking a little rough but runs like a top and the 305 is geting tired and I'm more of a gbody guy anyways haha. So I got everything for the swap exempt 1 clamshell mount I can't seem to find in my garage and the fuel tank. I have a monte carlo fuel tank from a 4.3 tbi that is sitting over at a freinds shop. Can anyone confirm it's the exact shape and will fit my el camino minus the filler neck being in the wrong spot I am planing to relocate it in the bed and

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Smooth out the gas door

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I compared the 1987 Monte and Elco tanks, and they likely use different senders. Rock Auto does not list part numbers, so I can't comfirm, but the tanks are different shapes in the pictures.

Attachments

• EC Tank.JPG
    EC Tank.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 259
  • MC Tank.JPG
    MC Tank.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 259

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
The tank I have access too is complete with the sending unit it's actually still in the car about 45 mins from me at a freinds shop that's why I was asking before I make that trip and pull it all to be disappointed haha I was trying to save some $$ I guess I will have to buy one of those spectra tanks and sending units from rock auto. I'm almost tempted to see if I can get the fbody camaro fuel tank under the back end of the elcoe and get longer universal straps and bolt em up lol

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
So I'm bringing this post back I'm finally getting back to this project I will start to pull the old motor out of the elcoe this sunday. I moved since I last posted so my project got delayed so for Father's day the wife said it my day to start wrenching and lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor