finding a leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I have a leak I can't find. It might be power steering fluid but I'm not sure. I clean everything and it comes back. Any one of youz guys use that dye to find it? I think you need a black light to see it? I wonder if they sell a kit to do that?
IBBY

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes there is a kit for that, and yes they work.

It's not a regular ultraviolet light, and you need to use proper dye with the correct glasses.

Reactions: 1 user

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
Yes there is a kit for that, and yes they work.

It's not a regular ultraviolet light, and you need to use proper dye with the correct glasses.
hello people: Have you tried it? Please tell your tail if you did use it.
IBBY

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
hello people: Have you tried it? Please tell your tail if you did use it.
IBBY
I bought a kit off Amazon and use the dye from Napa. And yes, I have used it successfully. It works amazing well with new oil that is very hard to see.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I used the dye from Napa with a UV light to find a coolant leak. If I remember right they said there was one that worked better for coolant and one that worked better for oil. I looked for the leak at night. Shows up better in the dark. Issue I had was my coolant leak was in the front where the water pump mounts and during the process of running the engine the fan painted the block with the dyed coolant. Hit the engine bay with the UV light and it lit everything up. Was able to trace it back to the starting point though.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Delco has oil dye, 4 in 1 stuff:

and a/c cooling dye:

and engine cooling system dye:

and a lamp/detection kit (121 bucks!!!):

Pricey A/F, but that's the GM stuff. You can probably get a mastercool kit or similar at autozone or advance or oreilley's, wherever you buy your oil/filters and junk for a lot less.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I've had a small ps leak on my hydroboost equipped LS swap for years. Clean as I keep it & as open as the area is, I can see it's a hose & not pump or steering box. As good of a spray degreasing & pressure washing you can do definitely helps, so you can see what's fresh.

Now for my ac leak:mad:. Borrowing a sniffer leak detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor