Finding Front-Axle Center line

G

GRIDLIFE_Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2017
Chicago
Hey Guys,

I already browsed through topics to try to find my answer but with no luck i figured id make a post. Im about to be Chopping up my frame pretty heavily for a custom front suspension....
I will be going through and pulling measurements of existing frame for reference but the main info I need is Finding Centerline of the front wheel line. I was hoping to get some insight on here before I dive in. I realise i can string lines from the hub but trying to see if there is any better reference marks or holes to go off.

Has anyone done this before? Is there a detailed Frame Diagram?

I have done this before on older ford trucks and a corvette but they have reference holes that make it extremely easy to pull numbers of off, I guess i'm wondering if theres anything like that on the G body frame.

Ive attached a photo of what i'm going to be doing to the G body frame.

Attachments

fleming442

fleming442

Geezer
Dec 26, 2013
IMO, if you want to keep it in the same relation to the firewall, you're going to need a long-term work space. But, you have the right idea; mark the floor under the current centerline, and DON'T MOVE ANYTHING until you're done.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
MC96

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
As in viewed from the side?

Plum bob on the front of the tire (or rotor) then on the back, then make a mark halfway between your two marks

Reactions: fleming442
S

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
OP, are you going to put struts into a G-body frame? What's your reasoning for going up this path? Please keep us in the loop....

Reactions: fleming442
G

GRIDLIFE_Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2017
Chicago
Cool yeah all good, - Ill probably stick with the plumb bob route. I've done it before just not on a G body so i figured id ask if there was an "Idiot Hole" for center.

shoedoos If you refer back up to the picture from my first post, i'm going to be replicating exactly what you see. so no original anything on the front end-or even the rear at that.... This is being built as a drift car, twin turbo Tiry's LST engine - built C4 independent rear end in the back, and for the front it will be based off of a Nissan S-chassis which is extremely common in the drift community- Just not on an El camino. Big Engine, High revs and lots of smoke, It should be a cool build- i expect to get some flack from some G body lifers for chopping it up like i will be, but thats just some hot rod shT IMO.

As for space, i have plenty of that, a big ol' shop with all the fun tools. Ill be documenting the whole build pretty detailed with video and pictures.

Pics of my Red elco are the project car i will be starting on... Pictures of the corvette is what ill be doing to the chassis.
IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_9772.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG

S

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
thanks for the insight....love the idea.....please update here cos I don't have facebook....

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Cool yeah all good, - Ill probably stick with the plumb bob route. I've done it before just not on a G body so i figured id ask if there was an "Idiot Hole" for center.

shoedoos If you refer back up to the picture from my first post, i'm going to be replicating exactly what you see. so no original anything on the front end-or even the rear at that.... This is being built as a drift car, twin turbo Tiry's LST engine - built C4 independent rear end in the back, and for the front it will be based off of a Nissan S-chassis which is extremely common in the drift community- Just not on an El camino. Big Engine, High revs and lots of smoke, It should be a cool build- i expect to get some flack from some G body lifers for chopping it up like i will be, but thats just some hot rod shT IMO.

As for space, i have plenty of that, a big ol' shop with all the fun tools. Ill be documenting the whole build pretty detailed with video and pictures.

Pics of my Red elco are the project car i will be starting on... Pictures of the corvette is what ill be doing to the chassis. View attachment 125382 View attachment 125383 View attachment 125384 View attachment 125385 View attachment 125386
how much does that front clip weigh?

84dragcutlass

84dragcutlass

G-Body Guru
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I bet that vett turns like a fork lift, pretty cool really.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dktalee Help finding a HEI non CC Distributor General Discussion 3
M Need help finding this part Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 5
81MalibuMan Hard time finding fuel filter New Users 19
houston_t Rear to front brake line. Wheels / Tires / Brakes 1
Hippi 78-81 lemans inner front fenders G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 7
BronzeLemans78 Front & Rear Bumper Trim - 78 Lemans Pontiac Grand Prix/Grand Am/LeMans/Bonneville 6
Rus Front shoulder belt removal Interior 3
S In desparate need of a passenger front wheel well moulding/trim w/2 tone paint for my 85 ElCo Wanted 3
R 1999-2003 front steering knuckles Wanted 11
Olds G's 1984 G47 Front Fender Lower Trim Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 4
nickonometry Cutlass front spoiler options Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 1
CDUNIGAN1981 Kore3 C5 Front and Rear question Wheels / Tires / Brakes 16
350Cutty **Moving Sale - Cutlass Front End $50. G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 9
Tyler l Front clip change General Discussion 1
Kelvin's80442 Front suspension,crossmember,hood 80 442 Wanted 8
7 NOS LeMans Front Bumper Cover/Header Panel G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
M Front air dam Wanted 3
airboatgreg Front Shocks General Discussion 9
H Questions on parts for 87 442 front turn signal gasket and wiring cover Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 2
J Aftermarket hurst front spoiler General Discussion 1
P 1980 Cutlass Supreme Front Bumper G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
S Looking for passenger side front wheel well molding w/2 tone paint for my 85 El Camino Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 0
P 1981 LeMans front end G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
M 84 cutlass.Need front license plate holder Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 0
K CUTLASS Front bumper badge Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 2
gnvair 15" Front tire sizes that will not rub Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 15
K NIB Spohn Front upper Tubular Control Arms 1978-1987 GM G-Body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 8
I Front Springs Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 1
565bbchevy Front backing plates new General Discussion 5
Tim & sleek Front brackets General Discussion 7
Cajun83HO LS front crank seal replacement General Discussion 7
J front end parts? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 5
J Front license plat bracket? Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 28
Wageslave Best front end changes for high speed stability? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 20
V Front suspension race car Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 5
R ?? Front body mount replacement Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 0
O Wanted 1981 Olds Cutlass front license plate holder Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 0
abstracts18 G Body Front air dam/splitter help Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 3
gnvair Can anyone definitively say that the front lower control arms from an S10 will work on a 78-88 A/G body?; Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 22
B Adding front spoiler/splitter to Monte SS nose General Discussion 2
Mikko F-Body Hollow front sway bar install help Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 7
Macguyver Autocross ready front end kit! Autocross 1
I Front end replacement parts Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
H Need 87 442 front bumper cover decal and stripe Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
D Front sway bar problem Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 8
D Front spring install suggestions Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 28
H CUTLASS Front sway bar bushing bolt mount stripped Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 34
L MALIBU Front suspension hardware Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
mickeypowa lowered front and 235 60 tires Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 12
D Front suspension???? Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 35