Finding Front-Axle Center line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRIDLIFE_Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2017
Chicago
Hey Guys,

I already browsed through topics to try to find my answer but with no luck i figured id make a post. Im about to be Chopping up my frame pretty heavily for a custom front suspension....
I will be going through and pulling measurements of existing frame for reference but the main info I need is Finding Centerline of the front wheel line. I was hoping to get some insight on here before I dive in. I realise i can string lines from the hub but trying to see if there is any better reference marks or holes to go off.

Has anyone done this before? Is there a detailed Frame Diagram?

I have done this before on older ford trucks and a corvette but they have reference holes that make it extremely easy to pull numbers of off, I guess i'm wondering if theres anything like that on the G body frame.

Ive attached a photo of what i'm going to be doing to the G body frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 398

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
IMO, if you want to keep it in the same relation to the firewall, you're going to need a long-term work space. But, you have the right idea; mark the floor under the current centerline, and DON'T MOVE ANYTHING until you're done.

Reactions: 1 user

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
As in viewed from the side?

Plum bob on the front of the tire (or rotor) then on the back, then make a mark halfway between your two marks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
First thing is to build a jig, we used plum bobs and a laser light to build chassis for circle cars

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
OP, are you going to put struts into a G-body frame? What's your reasoning for going up this path? Please keep us in the loop....

GRIDLIFE_Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2017
Chicago
Cool yeah all good, - Ill probably stick with the plumb bob route. I've done it before just not on a G body so i figured id ask if there was an "Idiot Hole" for center.

shoedoos If you refer back up to the picture from my first post, i'm going to be replicating exactly what you see. so no original anything on the front end-or even the rear at that.... This is being built as a drift car, twin turbo Tiry's LST engine - built C4 independent rear end in the back, and for the front it will be based off of a Nissan S-chassis which is extremely common in the drift community- Just not on an El camino. Big Engine, High revs and lots of smoke, It should be a cool build- i expect to get some flack from some G body lifers for chopping it up like i will be, but thats just some hot rod shT IMO.

As for space, i have plenty of that, a big ol' shop with all the fun tools. Ill be documenting the whole build pretty detailed with video and pictures.

Pics of my Red elco are the project car i will be starting on... Pictures of the corvette is what ill be doing to the chassis.
IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_9772.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
thanks for the insight....love the idea.....please update here cos I don't have facebook....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Cool yeah all good, - Ill probably stick with the plumb bob route. I've done it before just not on a G body so i figured id ask if there was an "Idiot Hole" for center.

shoedoos If you refer back up to the picture from my first post, i'm going to be replicating exactly what you see. so no original anything on the front end-or even the rear at that.... This is being built as a drift car, twin turbo Tiry's LST engine - built C4 independent rear end in the back, and for the front it will be based off of a Nissan S-chassis which is extremely common in the drift community- Just not on an El camino. Big Engine, High revs and lots of smoke, It should be a cool build- i expect to get some flack from some G body lifers for chopping it up like i will be, but thats just some hot rod shT IMO.

As for space, i have plenty of that, a big ol' shop with all the fun tools. Ill be documenting the whole build pretty detailed with video and pictures.

Pics of my Red elco are the project car i will be starting on... Pictures of the corvette is what ill be doing to the chassis. View attachment 125382 View attachment 125383 View attachment 125384 View attachment 125385 View attachment 125386

how much does that front clip weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor