Firewall A/C fabrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I really wasn't sure where to post this so here goes.
I am going to have to fabricate a delete plate because installation of Restomod AC. There is not enough room under the dash for these units.
I removed the aluminum delete plate (UMI) and set AC in place very close to where it needs to be. Either I can use plate as a template and fabricate out of metal or find someone who can do this using Tig welding on aluminum.
Anyone have any suggestions? What would you do in this situation? It's about 4 inches kicked out at the top
20201019_104529.jpg
20201019_104548.jpg
20201019_104653.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Use existing plate for template for holes and leave it about an inch wide. Make center to fill in and bubble out, use multiple plates welded together. Simple project, take a couple of hours.

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Connect all the pieces/parts to the main body before deciding "how much" additional clearance is required. Those defrost vents need to connect to something. That something potentially adds to your dimension concerns. I would also consider future maintenance accessibility as part of any re-design.

My suggestion would be to look @ the aftermarket 'heat only' fiberglass boxes.

You could potentially pick one of them up & tweak it to suit your needs. You could split the f-glass box as needed for more depth; use sheet metal tabs to extend areas & screw/secure the tabs to hold things in place; get a body shop to re-glass your changes; & body-work as needed to suit your goals.

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I really wasn't sure where to post this so here goes.
I am going to have to fabricate a delete plate because installation of Restomod AC. There is not enough room under the dash for these units.
I removed the aluminum delete plate (UMI) and set AC in place very close to where it needs to be. Either I can use plate as a template and fabricate out of metal or find someone who can do this using Tig welding on aluminum.
Anyone have any suggestions? What would you do in this situation? It's about 4 inches kicked out at the top View attachment 159871 View attachment 159872 View attachment 159873
First of all, more info on the AC unit.... that thing looks awesome.
Use existing plate for template for holes and leave it about an inch wide. Make center to fill in and bubble out, use multiple plates welded together. Simple project, take a couple of hours.
You could do something like this with fiberglass, some jersey material on a flange made to fit your AC opening and stretch over a balsa wood buck to get your shape. Used to do it for car audio stuff, you can smooth and finish to taste.

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It's a Restomodair Vapir 2 system. I went with this over Vintage air for reasons too numerous to mention but main reason is it can be controlled 3 ways. Regular switches, remote and Bluetooth. They have an app for your phone that controls everything. Kinda cool 😎
I'm thinking the easiest way for myself would be to get some. 030 or greater plate and fab it up. Wish I could tig aluminum and I have no confidence in doing it in fiberglass as I've never done it. I may save fiberglass work for my center console in distant future

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
This is a plan I can accomplish however a couple hours?! Haha. You have no idea how slowly I work! 😆

• Haha

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Here is the bulkhead I chose. I may use similar fasteners in engine compartment to tie it together
Or not.
20201019_124100.jpg

• Wow

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Do your cutouts in heavy poster paper to get the shape you want and take it to a fab shop to be tigged out all dime stacky and stuff. It probably wont be as expensive as you think.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor