Firewall Leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
So I found out that some water gets in my car on the passenger side, and I would think this is because the firewall isn't sealed. It isn't coolant, so I know the heater core is fine. I think my best bet is to just reseal the AC and heater box with some silicone. Has anyone else had this problem? Can water enter from the edges of the box if not properly sealed?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My guess would be your drain on the bottom of the ac/heater case is clogged with debris

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
There is normally 3 common areas that leak on these cars. The drain as mentioned above, the seam sealer around the box, and the front edge of the door glass. Possible that the windshield could leak also. Do not use silicone to reseal the box, get some rope caulk from a parts store.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Common leaks problems are the as stated blocked drain of the heater box causing it to fill & drain into the car, the sealing point of the box & firewall due to seal failure or rust out, base of the windshield rusting out due to debris build up, A pillars with same issues as the whindshield base.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
Wasn't sure where the drain plugs were but I vacuumed in the box, and sealed it back up with something I got a while back which I sealed my AC box on my cutlass with. It is like a putty. Put it on the outer edges too where it attaches to the firewall. I will spray test tomorrow. Thanks for your replies!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The drain is in the engine compartmenton the bottom of the fiberglass/plastic case. It'll be a rubber door.

Reactions: 1 user

83GWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2020
Bumping this thread because I have the exact same problem with the 83 4dr Wagon I just bought. The guy I bought it from kept it in a garage but I don't have that luxury at the moment . It has been raining here for 2 days solid and I found some water dripping in the passenger floorboard , the A pillar passenger side at the bottom and the the front of the passenger front door seems to be leaking a bit.

I guess I just need to re-seal the heater box, windshield and the doors? What about the firerwall seal?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Bumping this thread because I have the exact same problem with the 83 4dr Wagon I just bought. The guy I bought it from kept it in a garage but I don't have that luxury at the moment . It has been raining here for 2 days solid and I found some water dripping in the passenger floorboard , the A pillar passenger side at the bottom and the the front of the passenger front door seems to be leaking a bit.

I guess I just need to re-seal the heater box, windshield and the doors? What about the firerwall seal?

I just had to redo some stuff on my AC box in my wagon. Did it a while ago but I realized I didnt have everything right so I ripped it all apart again.
You can buy a new box to firewall gasket from Mikes Montes. Theyre not that expensive. Downside it takes a little work to replace it.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I would get some 3M Strip caulk. Silicone is good for rusting sheet metal steel. Plus the strip caulk makes removal easy if you every have to replace the heater core or evaporator.

83GWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2020
I would get some 3M Strip caulk. Silicone is good for rusting sheet metal steel. Plus the strip caulk makes removal easy if you every have to replace the heater core or evaporator.
Thanks for the tip gnvair. What do you think about Butyl rope/rubber as a sealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor