Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
I've just recently received my first car, its a 1980 malibu classic wagon! spare parts are not common where I live (Norway) and the car needs some cosmetic upgrades, as well as some small maintnance..

* first priority is to fix my high beam switch, it won't stay on (have to hold it towards me) tips?
* second is headliner which is sagging, and appart in the rear, can i reglue the headliner without the foam? or can i reglue the old liner to new foam? how do i do this?
*other small things: im changing my Valve Cover gasket on the passanger side, car is stock and has vacuum tubes and emission things running all over the passengar valve cover...
* Final thing is rear glass lift struts, does anyone know of a place that sells these in europe, or if any common chevrolets/gm cars has the same: Jeep Cherokee, chevrolet s10 blazer etc. these are easy parts to come by.
- Thanks!!

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
It's always good to see another new wagon join our ranks.
As far as your high beam switch is concerned. It sounds like a broken switch inside the column. It most likely needs to be replaced.

The headliner foam board(s) would need to come down to be replaced. You can't re-stick compromised fabric. Again, it would have to be stripped and recovered. The clips might be difficult to find, but they're out there, as I found out. The fabric is already foam backed and is meant for this purpose.

The valve cover gasket is fairly easy. Just be careful, and if there's any plugs that need to be unplugged just unplug and keep it out of the way.

The lift struts you'll probably have to order from RockAuto...that's where I got mine. They will ship internationally. I think the parts are specific to our wagons.

Post some pics of the wagon and tell us about it.

Last edited:

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Thanks for the answers. Yes I was happy to get a wagon, with a cool look and chrome spoke wheels :) car is bone stock otherwise and I plan to keep it that way.
Engine is the 305, transmission is the 350 3-speed. Now I just have to find a place to buy that foam fabric.
My high beam switch did work for a while the first days after i got the car if that helps me :/ ... also if i won't be able to fix my switch will an 80's Chevrolet truck indicator switch work? found these for sale nearby.

Car is near rust free underneath, but the car will be driven in salty / sandy in Norway winter conditions, is there any cheap way to protect the frame where the protective paint (undercoating) is chipping of, more than just washing weekly (would that be enough) ?

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a decent wagon. Winter's are brutal on vehicles, especially in places where the roads are salted.

Here's the place I purchased my headliner fabric. http://www.yourautotrim.com/auothead.html
I'm sure if you did a search online, you'd be able to find a source closer to your country.

I couldn't answer whether the '80's Chevy truck indicator switch would work. I'd suggest before even purchasing a new one, you may want to pull the steering wheel one day just to make an assessment of the problem. There might be a chance that a part, or spring popped off.
Also check RockAuto for the indicator switch. They list several types and brands.https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

As far as protecting the frame. I'd say a good coat of primer and top coat would help. There's also products where you can spray a coating inside the frame to help protect it from rusting inside out.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
1980 Malibu wagon - I learned to drive in one too.
The headliner fabric is called 'tricot', and has the foam already attached. The foam breaks down over time. I spent two days rubbing the foam boogers off the polystyrene panels. Don't use solvents - melts the backer board. Plan on sore hands. Do this before winter. Can't imagine getting that stuff off when it's really cold. Use a spray contact adhesive - get the one formulated for plastics.
Highbeam switch is located down towards the floor on the column. It is activated by a rod on the steering column. Here is a picture. Make sure the rod did not fall out. If needed, I can mail you small parts like this or the struts. Get to know RockAuto.com. They ship to Europe.
I'd love to visit some day. I always wanted to ride my motorcycle to the top of the world (Nordkapp).

Attachments

• First Car.jpg
    First Car.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Highbeam switch.JPG
    Highbeam switch.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
for the wet salty winters i dont know if you have it over there but try oil spraying and washing the outside every chance you get

• Agree

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
I'm planning on investigating further of course! :) I have already replaced my windshield viper pump, it was a hassle to find the right cable. but i'll manage to fix it. - Thank you for the good help!

MalibuHacon

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2015
Norway
Thank you that's awesome! awesome first car for Norway because no one, and i mean no one drives these cars (especially not youth).
there is an abundance of these veteran (30+ years old) cars for sale making them affordable however my Malibu is the first Malibu wagon I've ever seen on the road or car meets, and one of very few I've seen for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor