First dyno run...yesss....could it be my cam....oh noes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
Hello all...

I'm experiencing some disappointment after my first dyno run...

I don't think I'm generating the power I'm supposed to...

I mean, I can turn the wheels fine and I get good power, but not as much as I expected...

On the dyno run I got 240 max hp and 260 max torque after I had the timing properly set...

Here are my components for anyone interested in helping me solve my enigma...

Cam: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-7102&autoview=sku

Intake: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-7516&autoview=sku

Cylinder Heads: Vortec 062s

I've been told that my cam and heads don't match, but the machinist had the specs on my cam and machined my heads to accommodate it...

Keep in mind that these aren't my original specs. I had some double hump heads, but the machinist shaved them too much and I ended up with water in my oil pan... :evil:

The mechanic that was with me running the dyno thinks my carb (670 Holley Street Avenger) is too small and he thinks I would benefit greatly from an upgrade to the ignition system...

Any input is welcome...

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Sorry if I missed it, what are we talking here, chevy 350?

The carb is not too small--just make sure it is setup correctly. Tune on the dyno if you can.

Torque seems low. At what RPM did you make these numbers? What compression ratio are you at with those heads?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
By the sounds of it you are on a chassis dyno, right? If so don't forget to take into consideration that the numbers you get there will be lower than if you had it on an engine dyno.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Also what kinda of gears are you running? That could be where your losing all your hp if your running a stock rear end.

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
Brick442 said:
Sorry if I missed it, what are we talking here, chevy 350?

The carb is not too small--just make sure it is setup correctly. Tune on the dyno if you can.

Torque seems low. At what RPM did you make these numbers? What compression ratio are you at with those heads?

Sorry for the missing information...

I tried to include all the information I thought would be relevant...

Yes, It's a Chevy 350, Chevy 355 actually...

I'll explain how the technician ran the dyno for me...

He told me to gradually increase my RPMs to 3000 and floor it until he waved me off...

My compression ratio should be about 10:9 according my specs...

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
patmckinneyracing said:
Also what kinda of gears are you running? That could be where your losing all your hp if your running a stock rear end.

Since when does the gear ratio affect horse power? :?

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
ok, what gen is the block? 2 bolt, 4 bolt? what intake? vortech heads, 650 holley, and a aftermarket cam, bored 30 over, what else is there on the motor?

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
jrm81bu said:
By the sounds of it you are on a chassis dyno, right? If so don't forget to take into consideration that the numbers you get there will be lower than if you had it on an engine dyno.

Yes, it was a chassis dyno...

I kinda wanted a chassis dyno because I want to know the performance of vehicle with the chassis' load, although I'm exactly sure how to apply my numbers to an engine dyno...

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
2000.malibu.ls said:
ok, what gen is the block? 2 bolt, 4 bolt? what intake? vortech heads, 650 holley, and a aftermarket cam, bored 30 over, what else is there on the motor?

Gen I block
2 bolt main
Edelbrock 7516 manifold intake http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-7516&autoview=sku
Keith Black 5cc flat top pistons
Serpentine belt system
Stock alternator
Stock water pump
MSD HEI Ignition with Autolite 8mm ignition wires

I thats everything I can remember...

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
3.73 rear end
TH350 transmission
B&M Holeshot 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor