First G Body mod/upgrade YOU ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph_82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Soooo, seems pretty self explanatory.
Just wanting to get some discussions flowing. Sorry in advance if its been done before.
but name your first mod EVER, on your FIRST g body car owned. Suspension? Engine swap? Interior? Keep it simple and just tint the windows?
Lets hear what ya got, when you were like a kid at christmas playing with their first toy.....G body toy that is.

Mine came on flat dry rotted tires...so first thing was some used but still solid BFG's for the stock rims. Ohhhh man was i excited. Now it can roll, and turn, and i can move it with ease...OH JOY!! haha...
IMG_4841.jpg IMG_5049.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Let me dig into long term memory here since I've had my 87 Cutlass since 2001. I believe my first "mod" was a K&N filter and CD player at the same time.

Reactions: 3 users

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Installing a CD player and some subs

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Putting 15" gold and chrome rims on my 78' GP and then blacking out the chrome, it wasn't until my first Regal that I got the "power bug"

hpqscan0002.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Installed a cassette radio out of a Cutlass Ciera in my Regal. Was a great radio for 23 bucks out of a junkyard until a cop shoved his whole hand in the tape deck. >:L

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
in tenth grade i pulled the entire a/c system out convinced that weight loss was crucial to going fast in high school.was a warm & sticky summer time mistake..

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It was either dechroming the body of, or installing a sub in, my '83 Monte.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think the first things I did to the car were to remove all the cheesy side trim and wheel opening mouldings. Second would be a cassette player (I'm dating myself), next would be a chrome open air cleaner and a new transverse diesel muffler with dual outlets...poor man's dual exhaust.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I did F41 box and bars, 3.42 posi, and body braces all in one shot.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My current 1988 Cutlass. Pulled the Olds 307 and install an Olds 403 with Performer cam and manifold along with a 2400 stall and Transgo shift kit. First the radiator sucked for cooling and the fancy under drive pulleys made matters worse. After one of many overheatings to come, I put in a Modine 951 F body rad, which did help a lot. It would do a one wheel peel then go fĺat with the new combo. I realized the single exhaust with no cat and glass pack still sucked. It didn"t help someone added a chunk of even smaller pipe to repair a spot. The Hooker cat back then shorty headers with true duals with a x pipe helped a ton. That motor taught me a lot about what is needed in a good cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor