MONTE CARLO First G Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself as I will be purchasing a 86 Monte Carlo SS in late January (seller returning from vacation). I am a college student in LA and I know very little about cars in general. I want to make this car street fun and do most of the work myself. While being on winter break, I will be reading the forum quite a bit to understand the ins and outs of engine and transmission work. That's pretty much it, Happy New Years!

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
G-Bodies are simultaneously awesome and awful. Awesome in that they have tons of potential to do almost anything you want with them, but awful in that most of them had pretty weak-sauce mechanicals from the factory. Monte SS is one of the better foundations to start from.

What’s the story on your car? Mileage? Condition? And of course we love photos!

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Welcome from another 86 SS owner. A Monte SS stock is still a lot of fun with the OEM drivetrain but you just need to get used to being beat by minivans etc.

SG31

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the welcome and feedback, the Monte has 177,000 miles and the paint is ridiculously nice for the price. I don't really mind the high mileage as I want to swap the engine out for something a bit faster. Owner of the car has a project 63 Impala SS, and that's the reason for him selling his car. I originally wanted a Cutlass as my old man used to have a blue Cutty, but all the Cuttys I've seen had enormous amounts of rust, and I kind of like the more aggressive look of the Monte SS. I think I'll be posting in the engine section to hear opinions on what engine to work with as I want to make 450-500 to the wheels!

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey, Welcome from West Michigan.

Doug

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome from GA , thats a lofty goal of HP to start off with ! But totally possible with the right budget . You have a nice platform to start from .

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
Welcome and to echo what ed1948 said, was 21 years old when i bought my 84 SS. Was very excited when a HO mustang pulled up along side of me. Until the light turned green and I watched that mustang walk away from me laughing all the way. Stuck my tail between my legs and never did that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor