First press of brake pedal soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
Getting my 87 on the road for the first time in 2.5 years and I drove it for the 2nd time tonight. The first press of the brake pedal is pretty soft, then the second one is much firmer. Does this sound like air in the lines?

During the "restoration" I replaced the calipers, brake hoses and one of the brake lines. I've bleed the brakes twice now, it does seem better after the 2nd bleeding. When I'm bleeding them I have no issue using a vacuum pump on the rear drums, but for the front calipers (Blazer 2 piston) the vacuum pump doesn't really want to pull much fluid, but it has no issue if I have someone pump the brakes, open the bleeder, then close it.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
Can you elaborate a little? I've not had to mess with drum brakes before. This is a Ford rear end and brakes, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the response.

edit - Youtube for the win. I'll check it out in the morning.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
drum brakes give your your pedal travel, if the shoes in the drum brakes are backed off too far your get too much pedal travel. When you did the work on your brakes if you let the master drain completely you need to bench bleed the master. If you don't you willl never bleed that air out at the calipers and wheel cylinders.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
drum brakes give your your pedal travel, if the shoes in the drum brakes are backed off too far your get too much pedal travel. When you did the work on your brakes if you let the master drain completely you need to bench bleed the master. If you don't you willl never bleed that air out at the calipers and wheel cylinders.

Thanks for the tip, I adjusted the rear drums until I can hear just a little friction while spinning them. Both needed adjustment, one side quite a bit. The pedal now feels much better. I had replaced the brake drum (not pads or anything else) but never knew about the adjustment wheel.

The more you know!

Edit - I may be losing my mind but I swear the second post asked me if I had adjusted the rear brakes...but I don't see that question now. Regardless that seems to have fixed the issue. If I feel they are soft I will bench bleed the master as I have not done that. It does appear to be leaking fluid out of the gaskets below the fluid tank though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor