PONTIAC First road trip and gas mileage results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Well made about a 227 mile road trip yesterday, so far longest amount if time driving the car and pretty much a non stop trip up and back so it was a decent hard run for the old girl, 55mph 2 lane roads and alot of interstate at 70 MPH and I just filled up and got 21 MPG My jaw hit the floor, and that was with the air cleaner lid in the stock closed orientation. Cruise worked perfect the whole trip and the car had no problems pulling any hills in 4th gear without oven dropping out of lockup. Have to say i am quite impressed, Handled perfect, road good, these tire do have a fair bit or noise and i might try boosting the pressure up a bit I started off at 32 and have slowly worked my way up to 35 , I guess now I will just go right to 40 psi and see how they do.
20210411_111726.jpg

20210411_113017.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My dad's '78 Regal with a 305 and Th-200 got about the same when it was new.

I don't know if I would go any higher, you'll sacrifice ride, handling, and tire wear. The middle of the tire will wear out before the rest at 40 psi. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My dad's '78 Regal with a 305 and Th-200 got about the same when it was new.

I don't know if I would go any higher, you'll sacrifice ride, handling, and tire wear. The middle of the tire will wear out before the rest at 40 psi. JMO
Agreed. 32 is likely what I would run.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Increasing tire pressure means less contact with the road. Run it at 32 like it should be.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Well made about a 227 mile road trip yesterday, so far longest amount if time driving the car and pretty much a non stop trip up and back so it was a decent hard run for the old girl, 55mph 2 lane roads and alot of interstate at 70 MPH and I just filled up and got 21 MPG My jaw hit the floor, and that was with the air cleaner lid in the stock closed orientation. Cruise worked perfect the whole trip and the car had no problems pulling any hills in 4th gear without oven dropping out of lockup. Have to say i am quite impressed, Handled perfect, road good, these tire do have a fair bit or noise and i might try boosting the pressure up a bit I started off at 32 and have slowly worked my way up to 35 , I guess now I will just go right to 40 psi and see how they do.
View attachment 172917
View attachment 172918
Your Bonneville has cruise? Lucky S.O.B haha.

Glad you got some cool results on your trip though! Now that the weather is aight, it's a good idea to do some experimenting and further tests to see if you can top the 21 you got.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
yeah, I haven't checked the dwell of this carb to see if its dialed in and this trip had me sitting in road construction idling for nearly half an hour. so there is room for improvement. Did notice the night before that the choke coil wasnt opening the choke all the way, if you set it to where it would set at a cool temp, it wont open all the way and if you set it where its open all the way it wont set so I gotta get a new choke coil. ran the numbers on the carb and it is correct for this year and engine.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor