First time painter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Hi y'all, it's been a while since I joined so I figure its time I contribute. Thank you everyone for your how to posts I've read every one of them several times.
I have a 87 El Camino that I love. It needed paint pretty badly when I bought it so decided after almost a year of driving it to give it a shot. Here where I am so far. Tomorrow I will wet/color sand and spray on the clear. I wanted to do a semi tribute to the 70's muscle cars I grew up with. As a teenager all ever wanted was a Chevy or Chevelle painted black with a off center racing stripe. First I added the cowl induction hood and then I started on the painting.
Well, here I am at 62 yrs old giving it a shot. The only thing that went wrong was I had to redo the stripe because I grabbed the 3/4 inch tape verses 1/2 inch on the hood stripe. So far this has been a learning experience, but all in all it's coming out nice for my first time, I consider this a passable 10 foot paint job.
Please excuse the dirty rockers, I decided to take it to grab a frosty the I feel I deserved. I did clean them off when I got home.
Yes I painted this in my back yard on the dirt. I did everything I could to minimize the dust and that has worked out pretty good so far. I will spray the clear in a controlled environment though. One of the guys in my car club has a booth at his place. I'tt take it over there as soon as I finish the wet sanding.
So here's my 87 AKA Vixen
paited elco1.jpg
painted elco2.jpg
parked elco.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You going to name him "Pepe"? :)

583fffcbecf15a9c825c87e3184c1ad4_md.jpg

Just kidding. Stripe looks pretty good on it. Hit it with some clear and then get that joker shining!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Good job... I'll be tackling a first paint job in the future. Can't wait to see it with clear sprayed !

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Lookin good. Curious about what grit sand paper did you use on the color coat?

Reactions: 1 users

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Lookin good. Curious about what grit sand paper did you use on the color coat?
After checking youtube and talking with the guys over at the paint supply house I decided to go with 400 wet dry as a wash down prior to spraying the clear. If everything works out I hope to be able to puff and polish the clear vs. wet sanding.
All of this is coming from a guy that is just "giving it a shot"
Others with better information and a lot more knowledge may have a different opinion,

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Welcome to the forum - You gave your age but the stripes date you.
Some people will tell you the one set of off center stripes was never a "thing" but I have always liked them.
Yesterday after playing golf I walked out to the car to find two guys standing there talking about how anyone could miss the center line of a car by that far.
That made me smile and wonder why these whipper-snappers were on a golf course and not working.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
What kind of paint are you using? With poly, your not supposed to even spray your color coat over 400 scratches without using a sealer. To color sand your paint with 400 and then clear that, I believe you’ll be looking at your 400 grit scratches through the clear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Here's an update folks.
I was supposed to wet sand (wash down the paint prior to clear coat. Doug is RIGHT! After the clear it looked awful. The 400 scratches is the only thing I could see so back to the drawing board I went. I sanded the clear coat down with a series of grits starting with 400 and ended at 800 wet and dry. Once I did that I resprayed the color nice and wet and let it flow out. That looked a lot better.
I got up early this morning to beat the heat and was rewarded with a over cast morning. I resprayed the clear (4 coats so I had plenty to wet sand and buff ) then I let it set for about an hour and cleaned all of my paint gear before I even looked at the car. As it sits right now there isn't a scratch to be found in the black and shinny paint job. I plan to wet sand the clear with 800 up too 2000 wet and dry and then cut and buff. I'm going to wait a cpl of days before I do that to make sure the clear hardens.
All in all I am happy with the finished car (even though I haven't sanded and buffed it yet)
THANK YOU everyone for your input and humor, it helped a lot with this first time painters attempt at a 10 foot paint job. Here's a pic as it sits right now

painted again.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor