First time painter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That’s one time I would have liked to be wrong. But alls well now. Looks GOOD The sooner you start sanding the easier it’ll be, that paint/clear gets really hard.

Reactions: 1 user

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Thanks Doug, I should be sanding and buffing weds morning. I learned a couple of hard lessons but it was worth it.
Now I'm eye balling my 66 Chrysler and I think I'm up to the challenge.

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I kindly remind people all the time. IT'S JUST PAINT. If you screw up, do it over, just like anything else being learned.
I was informed by my parent several times growing up that my first paintwork was spraying the inside of a front windshield red at age 2. my punishment at a later age was having to properly paint numerous stuff, the largest being a 300' offshore supply boat I had a job on at age 18. We all gotta start somewhere doing less than perfect, I got an early start.

After buffing your first stripe, you can see how much you learned & make an exact symetrical replica on the other side.:doh:🙃
Oh yea,& beer is much more deserved after paint well done.

Reactions: 2 users

Fredo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Well folks its done as far as I can take it. Buffing and sanding is a skill that took a little while for me to get comfortable with.
All I wanted was a 10 foot paint job and I think I have that. There are a a few swirl marks in the clear but I think I can get them out with a little time and if I can ever find some shade to work in. I can't believe that this all started with me wanting a Cowl Induction Hood) cost of hood is not included in the price of my paint job.
Total for materials and tooling (I did not own a polisher, sanding blocks or spray guns) I bought my body filler and first level grit sand paper from TCB Global, paint and clear along with the finishing grit sanding discs came from a local supply house. Every chemical and paint I used are compliant with California anti freedom regulations.
Total cost for my first ever paint job came in about $700.00.
My advice to first time painters:
*PREP IS KEY*
Expect to pay a more that you think you need to.
Buy the best products you can afford
Take your time
*LISTEN TO THOSE THAT ARE WILLING TO SHARE KNOWLEDGE*
Set up your work area to do the best work you can, nothing worse than finding out in the middle that you don't have enough air hose. Ask me how I know this.
Unless they are helping, Minimize visitors and distractions (Especially during the spraying process, it can go south real fast)
THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT CHIMED IN AND GAVE ME ADVICE. IT IS APPRECIATED!!
done elco.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Looks good. To me, painting is a very rewarding project. A LOT of work, but big payoff if you take your time.

Be careful. If you get too good at it then everyone wants your help with their project. And for free of course!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Been a member of southern polyurethanes paint forums for a few years now. I've seen several new people over the years that study up info on the forum , listen to advise & follow instructions turn out a great first paint job.
Plenty of good info here.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor