First trip to the drag strip last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
Headed down for test n tune last night. My first time ever going down the track in anything. Did my burn out came outta the box staged it like a pro jeez things happen pretty fast after that I had a nap at the light (.638 reaction time) and ran a 15.2 @92mph and hurt the engine

Not really much of a point to my story just thought I would share
Cheers

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Well, congrats on making it to the track for fun. Sorry to hear the engine got hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Hope you didn't hurt it bad. Did it put the bug in you?? It's quite the rush. Got a go pro, here is a trip down the track

need to use google

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
Sorry about your engine, My first pass on a dragstrip was also a 15 second pass, i remember it like yesterday, it was in a 68 Camaro with a 327 back in 1977 at Englishtown in New Jersey. I didnt get the bug immediately, I was into doing car shows and stuff, but did go back in 1985 and I have been drag racing since!!

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah I can't wait to do it again , i know the car is faster than that... I think I let off too early to be honest ...engine noise is high I'm thinking valve train, lifter collapsed, bent push rod or somthing
It really really needs a gear set I didn't get out of second gear

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Definitely a rush i agree! I as well remember my 1st time..back in 2006 i just wanted to thrash my cutlass and see what it would do! Learned real quick that stock suspension and wheels with crappy street tires don't mix well for the strip!!! Could only get low 9's(1/8 mile) due to having to feather it out of the hole to prevent excessive wheel hop and the infamous g body shuffle lol!
Hope your engine problem is easy to rectify! Get some gear and fix the motor, take it back and hammer down!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I've never been much of a racer, but I remember the first trip down the track after I changed the 2.41s for 3.73s and an Auburn posi. I was used to 18s. In the left lane with all the traction compound from the other cars, my crappy street tires treated my wagon to a 14.68 at 82 mph. My legs were a bit wiggly as I got out of the car.

Consider a rev limiter, such as in an MSD box. I pegged the 6000 RPM setting with a 400 SBC a few times when I foolishly tried to manual shift and hit neutral by mistake.

LS WAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2016
Bucyrus, Ohio
I'm also not much of a so called drag racer but I enjoy going. Depending on how the track is run it can be overwhelming at times. The biggest thing is to not let others rush you. Last week I ran in my 1st dirt drag at our county fair. Pretty redneck I know.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm also not much of a so called drag racer but I enjoy going. Depending on how the track is run it can be overwhelming at times. The biggest thing is to not let others rush you. Last week I ran in my 1st dirt drag at our county fair. Pretty redneck I know.
I bet the dirt drag was a blast though! Here in KY people do that stuff too, heluva lotta fun to watch but i haven't got the pleasure to do it yet.

LS WAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2016
Bucyrus, Ohio
Had a blast! If you get an opportunity do it. The track goes away quick as you could imagine. Just something different than your normal vanilla day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor